gravity force

nameless

My homework is self-inflicted as I exited Physics in 1964 .  Weight of 1kg is a force of 10 Newtons and dropping 1kg 5meters for 1 second makes 10 Newtons which stretches the credibility. Anyway , I'm replicating a force of .5kg at 40 meters /sec velocity which may well be 20 Newtons, who knows.  It seems that 2kg at rest is also 20 Newtons . Anyone know an equation for Newtons at rest as gravity force?

7 hours ago, nameless said:

Anyone know an equation for Newtons at rest as gravity force?

F=M g

The force F on an object of mass M is given by the product of the mass and the local value for the acceleration due to gravity g.

So a mass of 1 Kg has a weight of about 9.8N

What does this, "a force of .5kg at 40 meters /sec velocity", mean?  A mass moving at a given speed has momentum, not "force".  Are you talking about the force the mass applies to the floor, say, when it hits the floor (and is equal to the force the floor applies to stop it).  That depends upon the time required to stop which itself depends upon the elasticity of the floor- mass duo.

Edited by Country Boy