What is inner-peace?

dimreepr

1 hour ago, jimmydasaint said:

Love and peace go hand in hand surely. When you love something absolutely, do you not receive a feeling of inner peace? I do.  

I suppose that if you are able to replace hate by love, or be calm in the face of adversity as StringyJ mentioned, that is pretty close to achieving inner peace.  I think that the calming of thoughts is a good start.  I have not always been successful, as past confrontations with trolls will testify, but at least I try....

I do too. As for replacing hate by love I find it peculiar to say the least. I need my hate as much as I need my love and all other emotions - they make me who I am. Obtaining a constant state of contentment would erase my identity as a person. 

7 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I agree that people have varying levels of peace but inner-peace is an absolute that transcends the spectrum.

You say that as if it is a verifiable fact. I'm skeptical as it seems more a personal opinion that 'inner-peace is an absolute'.

On the other hand if you can provide evidence to support your assertion I'd love to see it.

2 hours ago, koti said:

I do too. As for replacing hate by love I find it peculiar to say the least. I need my hate as much as I need my love and all other emotions - they make me who I am. Obtaining a constant state of contentment would erase my identity as a person. 

I haven't actually achieved a Nirvana-like state yet.  However, I don't feel hate or envy with any intensity.  It might just be just an age effect but I do feel a lot calmer much of the time.  If I could achieve contentment with what I have, I would love to have that feeling. I think inner peace means a " homeostasis" of emotions with emotions still present in the psyche but without the swings - just my opinions for what they are worth. 

4 hours ago, jimmydasaint said:

...emotions still present in the psyche but without the swings...

From what I've read and talked to people who take these, SSRI's are doing exactly that. I realize that it's not very scientific nor wise for me to state this  but - screw that, I'll take my swings over taking serotonin inhibitors or any other form of flattening my psyche (I realize it's subjective and does not work like that for everybody) The very thought of being completely content and being completely at peace scares me and makes me mad at the same time - and I like it like that. I like my hate, I like my fear, I like my love and I like my swings - they all make me whole. I guess that means that I can be at peace with myself without getting rid of my hate or being completely content all the time...which brings me to my original thought - inner peace is subjective, not illusive like dimreepr suggests.

Edited by koti

16 hours ago, zapatos said:

You say that as if it is a verifiable fact. I'm skeptical as it seems more a personal opinion that 'inner-peace is an absolute'.

All I can say is, it feels like it is; as in the moment you see the hidden image (only more profound), it's a lightbulb moment, not an idea but an understanding.

10 hours ago, iNow said:

Acceptance

In this context, it's such a multifaceted word (if a single word had to be chosen to explain the path to it, that's the one) but it doesn't explain what needs to be accepted.

11 hours ago, koti said:

From what I've read and talked to people who take these, SSRI's are doing exactly that. I realize that it's not very scientific nor wise for me to state this  but - screw that, I'll take my swings over taking serotonin inhibitors or any other form of flattening my psyche (I realize it's subjective and does not work like that for everybody) The very thought of being completely content and being completely at peace scares me and makes me mad at the same time - and I like it like that. I like my hate, I like my fear, I like my love and I like my swings - they all make me whole. I guess that means that I can be at peace with myself without getting rid of my hate or being completely content all the time...which brings me to my original thought - inner peace is subjective, not illusive like dimreepr suggests.

I too like my swings (emotional not playground) but I found I can do without hate and fear of the unknowable.

15 hours ago, jimmydasaint said:

I haven't actually achieved a Nirvana-like state yet. 

If that's what you're looking for you probably won't find it; I'm not trying to criticise you or your ambition but It's like trying to remember a word on the tip of your tongue; you'll only find it when you stop looking. 

Edited by dimreepr

On 28.10.2017 at 2:15 PM, dimreepr said:

I too like my swings (emotional not playground) but I found I can do without hate and fear of the unknowable.

I never had an issue with the fear of the unknowable, I rather tend to fear the inevitable. I think this is one of the fundamental differences between me and you which prevents us from transmitting on the same frequency when engaged in a lively discussion. As opposed to you, being of age 43 I like my playground swings too, both literally when playing with my son and colloquially in the context of toys which I like (being a guy it is fairly obvious) This doesn't have to be an obstacle in getting along even pretty well though...as long as you keep your inner peace to yourself and do not attempt to impose it on others. How's that sound ?

Edited by koti

40 minutes ago, koti said:

I never had an issue with the fear of the unknowable, I rather tend to fear the inevitable.

What do you think is inevitable (other than death and taxes)? My point is, it's the future that's unknowable not fear. 

I think this is one of the fundamental differences between me and you which prevents us from transmitting on the same frequency when engaged in a lively discussion.

Well yes, you do tend to sneer a little when you don't understand what I mean, such as:

As opposed to you, being of age 43 I like my playground swings too, both literally when playing with my son and colloquially in the context of toys which I like (being a guy it is fairly obvious) This doesn't have to be an obstacle in getting along even pretty well though

as long as you keep your inner peace to yourself and do not attempt to impose it on others. How's that sound ?

If you don't like my threads you're free to ignore it, besides how can I possibly impose my thoughts on anyone (that's absurd)? You're also free to take your head out your arse (if you like), how's that sound?

Edited by dimreepr

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, dimreepr said:

This is at the heart of my question, why would you think it's about blocking a feeling? 

I know very little about Buddhism other than 'Kung Fu Panda', not that I don't find similarities with my own thoughts.

Sorry - Maybe I confused some things that Prometheus has said in the past with what you have said. I though you had both studied or practiced Buddhism at some time....  or at least knew a bit about it.  

46 minutes ago, koti said:

I never had an issue with the fear of the unknowable, I rather tend to fear the inevitable. I think this is one of the fundamental differences between me and you which prevents us from transmitting on the same frequency when engaged in a lively discussion. As opposed to you, being of age 43 I like my playground swings too, both literally when playing with my son and colloquially in the context of toys which I like (being a guy it is fairly obvious) This doesn't have to be an obstacle in getting along even pretty well though...as long as you keep your inner peace to yourself and do not attempt to impose it on others. How's that sound ?

As it is a clearly stated goal of yours, I think it is safe to say that you are doing well at keeping inner peace at bay.

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, Prometheus said:

This seems to suggest you see inner peace as being the same as having no feeling?  Not sure if that is a reflection on Buddhism, but it is a common misinterpretation of the practice.

...  maybe it is a misconception. I am not sure what gave me this premise....  I am sure I have heard it said that you can't have inner peace and be angry...   being angry is a natural human emotion imo.  Sure, it isn't the most desirable emotion in most situations, but it is a natural and evolved feeling that is real and I am not sure anyone has a monopoly or the perfect wisdom on how to deal with it, feel it, embrace it in an adult fashion whilst keeping inner peace....  Again - depends on our personal definitions of it. :)

Peace out!.

Inner peace is beginning to sound to me like:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Not exactly, but this does seem to be a component of it, albeit without the deity.

The Buddhist proverb on worrying:

“If you have a problem that can be fixed, then there is no use in worrying. If you have a problem that cannot be fixed, then there is no use in worrying.” 

The Zen saying on worrying:

“If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can’t be solved.” 

57 minutes ago, DrP said:

...  maybe it is a misconception. I am not sure what gave me this premise....  I am sure I have heard it said that you can't have inner peace and be angry...   being angry is a natural human emotion imo.  Sure, it isn't the most desirable emotion in most situations, but it is a natural and evolved feeling that is real and I am not sure anyone has a monopoly or the perfect wisdom on how to deal with it, feel it, embrace it in an adult fashion whilst keeping inner peace....  Again - depends on our personal definitions of it. :)

Different traditions and people will have different ideas, but in Buddhism the idea that we are trying to never feel emotions is pernicious: so much so that people who practice this way have a name: Stone Buddhas. The story of the Buddha includes an episode where the Buddha was practicing strict asceticism until a women told him to stop being a plonker and eat some rice.

I think we can all agree that whatever inner peace is, it is not a state of feeling nothing?

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Inner peace is beginning to sound to me like:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Not exactly, but this does seem to be a component of it, albeit without the deity.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

The Buddhist proverb on worrying:

“If you have a problem that can be fixed, then there is no use in worrying. If you have a problem that cannot be fixed, then there is no use in worrying.” 

The Zen saying on worrying:

“If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can’t be solved.” 

That certainly is a large part, it takes care of the fear of an unknowable future, but worry also has its place, until you've worried out a solution or found there isn't one, after that it just muddies the waters. 

2 hours ago, DrP said:

Peace out!.

Anger has its place, for defense when attacked, but only when there's an enemy in sight, that's when forgiveness plays its part; if you have no-one to fight, and you're still angry, you just beat up yourself.

2 hours ago, DrP said:

Sorry - Maybe I confused some things that Prometheus has said in the past with what you have said. I though you had both studied or practiced Buddhism at some time....  or at least knew a bit about it.  

I don't really have a clue about Buddhism, in fact, Prometheus had to correct me when I thought Christianity was older. As I said in an earlier post, there are many roads that lead to Rome; personally, I stumbled blindly through the undergrowth, rubbed my eyes and I was in Rome.

Edited by dimreepr

Many times I get the feeling that I will never find inner peace and be truly happy in life and every single day that I wake up this planet feels more and like a prison to me.

For starters I can't go to work because I suffer from a tons of health problems and many other things like legal problems with the Israeli authorities (I live in Israel btw).

I wish I could escape this prison and just die already and rest forever in peace.

I feel trapped by the system and I don't know what to do.

Edited by seriously disabled

Sure, and I like it that way.

Well, you're welcome to your torment but why bother posting in this thread? 

2 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

Many times I get the feeling that I will never find inner peace and be truly happy in life and every single day that I wake up this planet feels more and like a prison to me.

For starters I can't go to work because I suffer from a tons of health problems and many other things like legal problems with the Israeli authorities (I live in Israel btw).

You won't find it if you demand that others provide it for you; you have to find it for yourself and a prison is no obstacle, just ask Stephen Hawking

10 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

I wish I could escape this prison and just die already and rest in forever in peace.

"Heaven is a place on Earth" that's not just empty rhetoric, here and now is the only place heaven can exist; if you're dead you won't be at peace, you'll be dead.

1 minute ago, koti said:

You just don't get it, do you.

I don't get why you're so adamant, that inner-peace is unachievable; or why you want to disregard the possibility that peace of mind is available, even to you.

16 minutes ago, koti said:

You just don't get it, do you.

Enlighten me. 

42 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I don't get why you're so adamant, that inner-peace is unachievable; or why you want to disregard the possibility that peace of mind is available, even to you.

Enlighten me. 

Since you included a great anchor point in your above post, sure dimreepr, let me enlighten you; First you school me for months about inner-peace and geting „rid of my hate” whenever you end up with no more arguments for your points. Then you open a thread about inner peace (this one) which implies that you are confused yourself. Then I explain to you (in this thread) that inner peace is subjective and can mean different things for different people. And then finally you conclude by putting words into my mouth that I am „adamant that inner peace is unachievable” More over, I never even implied in the slightest trace in this or any other thread that inner peace is unachievable. In between the above, for the cherry on the cake, you tell me to stick my head out of my arse while having yours so deep inside your own arse that you don’t even remember what daylight is. Lets see where this is going, its nit going to be a difficult task...you will write in the next couple of posts something along the lines of „find inner peace and you will achieve a clearer view of things” „Get rid of your hate and bring acceptance into your life” At this point, naturally I will get pissed once again and my inner peace will be gone. Does this enlighten you or is there somethin more I could shed light on?

Edited by koti

24 minutes ago, koti said:

Then I explain to you (in this thread) that inner peace is subjective and can mean different things for different people. 

But you have yet to explain why.

I have addressed this more than once, yes, the feeling is subjective but the path to it is objective and it doesn't include fear or hate.

31 minutes ago, koti said:

you tell me to stick my head out of my arse

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

You're also free to take your head out your arse (if you like), how's that sound?

Do you see the difference?

Edited by dimreepr

15 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Do you see the difference?

Yes dimreepr, I do. Let me propose something...I will do you the curtesy of trying to excersize your tips and you will try not to put words into my mouth again. Fair enough?