Cheap material thats heat resistant and clear

tjyoun3

Hi all,

Im inventing a new product and need some advice as to what material i should use to create part of it. The goal is for it to be a clear material, thats heat resistant (wont bend or misshape) when a lit cigarette is touching it. Basically i just need to figure out what cheapest compound can be used as an ash tray almost. If i need to provide clearer instructions as to my request, just ask. Thanks!

Just now, Strange said:

Glass. Heat resistant, clear, cheap, easy to mould to shape.

Greatly appreciate the reply. Also shouldve included that i need it to be fairly durable. I thought of glass but its too fragile. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glass too. More precisely borosilicate, commonly called Pyrex, so heat differences won't shatter it.
I don't see affordable alternatives, so you must live with the fragile material.
Here too: proper kind of glass and adequate shape. Avoid concave sharp edges and long thin parts.

21 minutes ago, Enthalpy said:

borosilicate, commonly called Pyrex,

I saw the thread title and logged in to say borosilicate..  I remember someone mentioned glass and I thought that borosilicate glass would be the best...  although re-reading the OP it is for an ashtray...  so you can get away with a lot of different materials for that.

Edited by DrP

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, John Cuthber said:

It seems that ashtrays can be made from glass.

People even use plastic. Would probably melt/burn under a blow torch flame, but fine for a cig end.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Bender said:

The obvious solution is to stop smoking.

Apart from not having lit cigarettes to deal with, there is a good number of additional benefits.

Being fair - I don't think the OP wants to build an ashtray - he wants a clear heat resistant material. He used an ash tray as an example of the kind of heat resistance that would be needed.   So - glass or borosilicate glass or some plastics... without knowing the exact application it is difficult to suggest anything exact.

Reading back he says that glass is too fragile...  I would argue that it depends on the thickness/toughness of the glass and the application  -  some glasses are very tough and difficult to break.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, tjyoun3 said:

Greatly appreciate the reply. Also shouldve included that i need it to be fairly durable. I thought of glass but its too fragile. 

What is the application?  Some glasses (as Strange pointed out) are very tough if you make them thicker and tougher. They can be doped with resin or fibres to reinforce them.