I have a big test coming, and i still dont undertsand this.

john2017

Kindly help me. I'm in gr10 and I  have a test coming up soon, and I understand everything aside from the Coriolis. One thing I don't understand is how does Coriolis affect climate? I searched it up online, but can't find any simple, easy to understand answer. Second thing, how does Coriolis affect plants and animals? Kindly help me understand these concepts in a simple way. Thanks

First "Coriolis" is an adjective, not a noun!  You mean "Coriolis force".  That is the (imaginary) force that causes large scale motion of the atmosphere to circulate, clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.  It is responsible for the rotary motion of large storms and, in particular, typhoons and hurricanes.  Of course, it is NOT responsible for the strength of the winds in such storms- that is due to the energy picked up from warm tropical waters- so I don't know that it has any particular effect on plants and animals.  It is responsible for the trade winds as J.C.MacSwell says.

Hello there, 

the coriolis effect is quite simple if you Know the basic. The Coriolis effect is to do with the the direction of the wind not the speed. So the colriolis effect really just means that it affects the way the direction in which the wind travels. I hope i was usefull