Alternating electrodeposition...

Externet

Hi all.

What to expect from electroplating a 'target' metal with two (or more)  different 'donor' electrodes cyclically switched on for few seconds ?   I do not have the equipment to experiment.

Example...  an iron 'target'  electrode getting electrodeposition from both submerged copper and tin electrodes in the same vessel but only one timely connected (powered) at a time...  With proper timing; would the iron be electroplated with bronze ?

Or... several  'donors'  creating a complex alloyed surface for corrosion/hardness/properties improvements  ?   Does such a practice exist in the industry ?

Edited by Externet

Thank you, John.  Good. Easy processes do not bring much merit.

Plating to the correct percentages an alloy ideally is composed of,  would then need different times or currents when a particular anode is switched on,  to establish a proper recipe, right ?

Hi both,

It is done for nickel-cobalt alloys. These elements have very close properties, including the redox potential.

Instead of pulses, I'd use currents, which can be regulated exactly too.

I had hoped, but never tried, to run the multiple-sources deposition for long enough that the bath gets richer in the metal more difficult to deposit due to the difference in redox potential. At some point, and if the metals aren't too different so some equilibrium is reached, the proportion of dissolved source must impose the proportion of the deposition. I'd have put the desired target only then.

Though, I've heard only of Ni-Co, not even Ni-Cu,  so the process can't be easy.

What does exist is a deposited layer that incorporates other elements from the bath, and not only metals. Contractors can embed particles of Ptfe in Ni for instance.