Sleeping with the windows closed? Earplugs?

Lord Antares

I love dogs, and I'm pretty accepting of their barking. I know they're just doing the job that's made them the most successful companion of humans. I would definitely try to change what I could on my end before trying to change a dog's habits.

That said, there are limits. The only time I've ever said anything to a neighbor about their dog was because one of them wouldn't settle down when I did yard work while they worked in offices during the week. I don't mind if dogs spend 10 minutes establishing that I better stay on my side of the fence, but one of their dogs just wouldn't let it go no matter how long I was working. I'm not a yard maintenance fan anyway, so add a dog barking for 2 solid hours and the situation goes very sour.

I wouldn't go to the police unless my neighbors told me flat out they wouldn't do anything.

As to the window part, you should have plenty of ventilation if your home/apartment isn't ancient. I dislike earplugs as well, and like zapatos I think white noise is essential. People who've had children appreciate masking the normal night sounds, because we know full well if something out of place makes a noise, we're awake immediately, standing in the hallway in our underwear brandishing a tennis racket.

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Did the dogs scream in yours? Or did you focus on the distraction? 

I don't think you quite understand. The sound of their barking is waking me up. I would like to do something as trivial as closing my windows in order for them not to wake me up. Your suggestion that I should accept it and let it happen instead of doing something as trivial as closing my window and solving the situation does not sound sensible.

1 minute ago, Lord Antares said:

I don't think you quite understand. The sound of their barking is waking me up. I would like to do something as trivial as closing my windows in order for them not to wake me up. Your suggestion that I should accept it and let it happen instead of doing something as trivial as closing my window and solving the situation does not sound sensible.

So close your windows, but if that doesn't help what choice do you have?

I spend most of each night awake, for various reasons; my choices are, get up and do without sleep, or close my eyes and wait for sleep.

23 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

A fan, white noise machine, app on the phone, ear plugs, dog whistle... That is the point of this thread.

Most of us seem to be more pragmatic than you.

9 minutes ago, zapatos said:

A fan, white noise machine, app on the phone, ear plugs, dog whistle... That is the point of this thread.

35 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

but if that doesn't help what choice do you have?

10 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Most of us seem to be more pragmatic than you.

What's more pragmatic than:

36 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

get up and do without sleep, or close my eyes and wait for sleep.

37 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I know it does because they never wake me up when I do that. I was just wondering if if would be healthy to keep the windows closed like that every night. Apparently, there is no reason not to do that. That's where the thread ended for me.

39 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I spend most of each night awake, for various reasons; my choices are, get up and do without sleep, or close my eyes and wait for sleep.

Well it's not my choice. I can't function very well with no sleep like that. If you can, then that's very good for you. 

11 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

How unhealthy would it be to go to sleep every day with the windows closed? Would the lack of air give me headaches in the morning? Or is it fine?

That depends on how devastated is air in your city..

I am in pretty devastated environment, but always have balcony open between May to September.

It would be unbearable due to increase of temperature in room during summer.

11 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

On another note, it would probably be better to sleep with earplugs, but they always give me headaches when used for a couple of hours

Try different models. In my pharmacy there is dozen of different models.

1 minute ago, Sensei said:

It would be unbearable due to increase of temperature in room during summer.

Yeah, tell me about it. In the summer, a house like 10-15 m away from mine was being built. I didn't even hear the dogs over that noise.

The city is not too polluted, I guess. It's not that large and seeing how tapwater is drinkable and tasty, I wouldn't assume otherwise of the air.

21 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

The city is not too polluted, I guess. It's not that large and seeing how tapwater is drinkable and tasty, I wouldn't assume otherwise of the air.

To check pollution, I would not count on my own senses, rather on data provided by scientists regularly monitoring it. They vary from day to day, hour by hour. Smog warnings are issued from time to time. Especially in autumn (because some people are heating using coal, burning trash, in obsolete furnaces).

Here it's no so bad as f.e. in many modern China cities, when they can't even see other people 20+ meters away due to smog.

la-fg-china-la-smog-policy-20140909-thumbnail.thumb.jpg.3fbb4b2ad9c4769fe42ace0c1c728058.jpg

Edited by Sensei

16 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

It would do nothing. I would wake up completely by the time I did that. And it would wake up whoever was still sleeping.

Humans don't hear it, just the dogs  -  too high pitched.  (Sorry - just seen that you have realised this already).

15 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

And this is not a topic where inner peace is relevant at all.

Just to play advocate for 1 second as it might not be totally irrelevant. :D

Your outer peace or turmoil can be easier to accept with inner peace. The inner peace we speak of can lead to better problem solving and solutions (maybe/sometimes) and could inspire a better solution to be designed by you own brain.  It could put a break on any anger getting out of control so you wont go on a dog kill so easily. It could help you accept and approach the problem with happiness for a problem to be solved rather than from a tired burnt out frustrated sleep deprived position...   and finally...  well, just 'inner peace'! what's wrong with that at anytime? lol. I am sure there could be other positives to support the position too if I had time to think of them.

But if your not into that hippy stuff then just get a whistle - sounds like it would be an interesting experiment to try to see if it shuts them up. lol. They start from about  £1- upwards on e-bay. :)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/252529324740?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=47119442607&rlsatarget=pla-326789570815&abcId=1128926&adtype=pla&merchantid=110335821&poi=&googleloc=9045058&device=c&campaignid=856227598&crdt=0

Sorry - replied to last page - missed the whole second page of conversation and didn't spot it before my reply... 

12 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

Anyways, I closed my windows and slept.

Glad you slept well. :) 

13 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

When I woke up, the air was hard to breathe and it felt stale. It ''tasted'' like breathing cancer.

What does cancer taste like then??   Feet, BO and farts? lol. 

7 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

When I woke up, the air was hard to breathe and it felt stale. It ''tasted'' like breathing cancer.

This is either psychosomatic, or your building is improperly ventilated. You should look into the latter, since that could be lethal in some cases. 

What about the air was "hard to breathe"? The only time I've ever felt difficulty is when the air is extreme in temperature (hot or cold), so I'm at a loss regarding the difficulty.

What do you mean by "stale"? Smelly, as DrP suggests? That would account for what you "tasted". Or do you mean something else, like the air seemed old and lacking in oxygen?

13 hours ago, DrP said:

What does cancer taste like then?? 

Tastes like closed windows.

5 hours ago, Phi for All said:

What about the air was "hard to breathe"? 

What do you mean by "stale"? 

Have you ever been to an overcrowded club in a closed (preferably underground) place? Do you know that feel when you just feel like you don't have enough air to breathe properly? And then you get outside and you take that sweet breath of fresh air. It just feels like you're breathing less air; like you're taking very short breaths of air. I don't know how to describe it better. If you are still perplexed, try keeping the windows closed in your room for a long time and close the door. When you come in, try to notice the difference in how the air ''feels''.

Of course, I might just be talking shit and it's just psychosomatic.

1 hour ago, Lord Antares said:

Have you ever been to an overcrowded club in a closed (preferably underground) place? Do you know that feel when you just feel like you don't have enough air to breathe properly? And then you get outside and you take that sweet breath of fresh air. It just feels like you're breathing less air; like you're taking very short breaths of air. I don't know how to describe it better. If you are still perplexed, try keeping the windows closed in your room for a long time and close the door. When you come in, try to notice the difference in how the air ''feels''.

Of course, I might just be talking shit and it's just psychosomatic.

Is your bedroom door open or closed? Even if it isn't on, a forced air system helps air circulate, but you need access to the return vent. You have a vent for heat in your bedroom most likely, but there may only be a return air vent in a central hallway. If your door is closed, blocking the return, perhaps your air isn't being refreshed efficiently.

Or it might be psychosomatic. I like having open windows whenever possible. I prefer the breeze to air conditioning, even though a/c can get the room colder. I think of the closed in air as "canned". I feel it more on my skin than as a difficulty in breathing, but I think I get what you mean. I think it's in my head though, since it only bugs me if I'm thinking about it. 

7 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I think it's in my head though, since it only bugs me if I'm thinking about it. 

Exactly. I think this is it. I woke up this morning normal. Only when I consciously tried breathing it in did I notice something. So yeah, I'm finally sleeping well and that's the end of that. 

1 hour ago, Lord Antares said:

Exactly. I think this is it. I woke up this morning normal. Only when I consciously tried breathing it in did I notice something. So yeah, I'm finally sleeping well and that's the end of that. 

You probably had a slight anxiety about oxygen and carbon dioxide levels until you were put right.

6 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

So now we just need to discuss how to keep you from consciously thinking about it. We should do this daily for at least a week.