How the Anonymity of the internet turns us into.... Well...

DanTrentfield

In case you hadn't noticed by the number of internet rules and self proclaimed "trolls" there are, the internet brings out the absolute worst most perverse and downright awful side of humanity. 

Please note that this discussion is not to simply "diss" humanity, it is a legitimate intellectual discussion started by me to discuss thoughts on why this is using rational thought; in other words this is no place for politics or any hotheaded spewings about how you, like everyone else are treated quite poorly online. 

I personally think that it comes down to this: Anonymity basically turns off inhibitors that keep all that nasty irrational anger and perverse thoughts and allows us to express them while remaining, well anonymous. This is not an argument against internet anonymity, frankly I don't want someone snooping through my credentials and sizing me up to be robbed every time I post something, and I'm pretty sure you don't either, not to mention people looking through things about you. Which is why we have anonymity on the internet. But my thought stands. 

I'd say it's the anonymity that allows for a lack of consequences, and that's what emboldens many. It's not just that you're hidden; you're sequestered from most repercussions you'd face IRL.

When you say inflammatory crap at home, your family gives you hell for it and hopefully sets you straight. You're invested in their good wishes and good feelings towards you, and you weight their opinions more heavily than others. If you troll the women you know with misogynistic attitudes, you get immediate negative reinforcement with palpable consequences. On the web, you skate away without even an electronic sting. 

I'm not sure if the internet is mostly or just partially to blame, but I think many people aren't getting the kind of feedback from friends and family they used to. Too many people act as if their grandparents aren't going to light into them if they pop off with vacuous unpleasantries in decent company. Perhaps the parents and grandparents have become too afraid of all the weirdness the web tells them about.

It's easier to dehumanize others when they're anonymous, too. I appreciate the concern here, though am not willing to force folks (whatever that means) not to be anonymous. There are good reasons they'd like to be, but on net I agree it's done harm to our social wellbeing.

21 minutes ago, iNow said:

It's easier to dehumanize others when they're anonymous, too. I appreciate the concern here, though am not willing to force folks (whatever that means) not to be anonymous. There are good reasons they'd like to be, but on net I agree it's done harm to our social wellbeing.

There are forums which 'force' members not to be anonymous.

The only one I'm familiar with is the English Chess Forum which is much livelier than most chess forums. Addresses aren't published and I am not aware of any attempt to rob anyone.

The lack of anonymity perhaps encouraged threats of legal action against the site owner by the English Chess Federation, but they seem to have given up in recent years.