Hulse/Taylor Binary Pulsar System and Gravitational Radiation:

beecee

The degradation in the orbital parameters of the Hulse/Taylor binary system was our first indication of the validity of GWs: A while ago on another forum, while discussing this observation, the claim that this observation was fraudulent was raised by one of our anti science god bothering evangelists, who claimed that the orbital degradation was simply a result of the interaction/s of the magnetic fields of these Pulsars. I'm pretty sure that this scenario would have been allowed for, and probably the effect from interacting magnetic field/s as minimal if at all.

Does anyone have any information as to what part magnetic fields would play, if they did play a part, and why they would not play a part at all if that was the case. I have previously gone though numerous papers on the H/T system and the orbital degradation, and was unable to find any inference to magnetic fields at all.

Of course after the recent discoveries of GWs by aLIGO and its sister detectors, the evidence for GWs is now a given, in line with the data as received.

Edited by beecee

12 minutes ago, swansont said:

Why and how would the magnetic fields cause orbital decay? You need something to carry away both energy and angular momentum. Anyone claiming this has to show how it can happen.

My first thoughts exactly, but I wasn't real sure.....then came this......http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/feb/02/magnetic-fields-put-the-brakes-on-millisecond-pulsars

OK, this invokes the rotational period as opposed to orbital, but my problem when arguing this out was that in the H/T Pulsar papers I have read, I see no mention of a magnetic field: which then obviously supports your assertion that this needs to be showed as valid.

The thread on this in the forum was resolved due to my adversary not being able to show empirical evidence why it should happen and he was banned: But I was still not fully satisfied and would have liked to have found some mention of it, to sort of "rub his nose in it" if you get my drift.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

My first thoughts exactly, but I wasn't real sure.....then came this......http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/feb/02/magnetic-fields-put-the-brakes-on-millisecond-pulsars

OK, this invokes the rotational period as opposed to orbital, but my problem when arguing this out was that in the H/T Pulsar papers I have read, I see no mention of a magnetic field: which then obviously supports your assertion that this needs to be showed as valid.

The thread on this in the forum was resolved due to my adversary not being able to show empirical evidence why it should happen and he was banned: But I was still not fully satisfied and would have liked to have found some mention of it, to sort of "rub his nose in it" if you get my drift.

If it's something that's orders of magnitude away from posibly being responsible, it's likely you wouldn't bother to mention it.

Much like atomic structure calculations don't continually bother to show that gravity can be ignored.

31 minutes ago, swansont said:

If it's something that's orders of magnitude away from posibly being responsible, it's likely you wouldn't bother to mention it.

Much like atomic structure calculations don't continually bother to show that gravity can be ignored.

:)  Yeah that makes plenty of sense....thanks