Liberalism is white supremacy

waitforufo

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down-th

Students affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement crashed an event at the College of William & Mary, rushed the stage, and prevented the invited guest—the American Civil Liberties Union's Claire Gastañaga, a W & M alum—from speaking.

Ironically, Gastañaga had intended to speak on the subject, "Students and the First Amendment."

The disruption was livestreamed on BLM at W&M's Facebook page. Students took to the stage just a few moments after Gastañaga began her remarks. At first, she attempted to spin the demonstration as a welcome example of the kind of thing she had come to campus to discuss, commenting "Good, I like this," as they lined up and raised their signs. "I'm going to talk to you about knowing your rights, and protests and demonstrations, which this illustrates very well. Then I'm going to respond to questions from the moderators, and then questions from the audience."

It was the last remark she was able to make before protesters drowned her out with cries of, "ACLU, you protect Hitler, too." They also chanted, "the oppressed are not impressed," "shame, shame, shame, shame," (an ode to the Faith Militant's treatment of Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones, though why anyone would want to be associated with the religious fanatics in that particular conflict is beyond me), "blood on your hands," "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, uh, "liberalism is white supremacy."

So liberalism is dead.  Long live the brownshirts of Black Lives Matter.  Who needs that old white man's document, The Constitution of the United States", anyway.

The classical liberalism that one wouldn't hesitate to admit to supporting has, in America, been supplanted by a violent, irrational version of which "Antifa" is the most obscene example. I saw my first BLM tee-shirt, this year, which was worn by a young black woman and I was in our town's Starbucks. I didn't speak to her, nor did I go near her. I live in a small town not far up the Hudson River from New York City. The best account of the origin and putative cause of what is witnessed on college campi in America--perhaps in many Western nations' colleges--can be found in Allan Bloom's famous book, The Closing Of The American Mind, 1987.

3 hours ago, waitforufo said:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/black-lives-matter-students-shut-down-th

So liberalism is dead.  Long live the brownshirts of Black Lives Matter.  Who needs that old white man's document, The Constitution of the United States", anyway.

What are you attempting to convey with the quality "white" in the third sentence? (The "old" descriptor indicates a prejudiced/bigoted maladjustment with respect to age; the "man" characteristic, a.k.a. genitalia, indicates a sexist prejudiced/bigoted maladjustment with respect to sex-type.)

8 hours ago, waitforufo said:

So liberalism is dead.

One protest does not a revolution make. Do you think it does?

Long live the brownshirts of Black Lives Matter. 

Clarification please. Are you conflating brownshirts with Black Lives Matter, or are your referencing a subset of Black Lives Matter. The distinction appears to be an important one.

Who needs that old white man's document, The Constitution of the United States", anyway.

Can you explain what you mean by this statement? It can be interpreted in many ways and so it would be easy to go off on a pointless tangent if one chose the wrong one.

Your responses to these questions should serve well to meet HI's request.

6 hours ago, waitforufo said:

Who needs that old white man's document, The Constitution of the United States", anyway.

This is an international forum and as much as you'd like to believe it, it's not the constitution of the free world. It's an archaic document violently achieved in protest of the crown (how ironic is that).

Once again, iterating the false narrative that ANTIFA is inherently violent, therefore all liberals are inherently violent. Trump tried that and failed, as do you. Doubling down only makes it twice as absurd. Is there no abyss too deep to stoop?

A lot of outsiders are looking in as Americans pit themselves against each other in ridiculous, hypocritical, contentious and often deadly ways. For lack of a better analogy, your constitution is being perverted in the same manner the jihad perverts the Quran. Liberal, conservative... who cares, y'all look the same to me (to use a common American meme about others).

Free speech and freedom of the press are the cornerstones of your constitutional 1st Amendment, while your unhinged leader disrespects both on a daily basis as policy. Even calling for the persecution of those who lawfully protest his actions, yet nary a peep from the malcontent that so loudly claims to be a rigid constitutionalist. Heaven forbid had Obama done that, you'd be screaming impeachment from the rooftops and rounding up your 2nd Amendment buddies, huh? Well, maybe that's a little extreme and don't proclaim it hasn't been said by others, but definitely chanting "Lock him up", right?

During the 2016 election season BLM interrupted several events of both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. Well known supporters of BLM like Colin Kaepernick and Nick Cannon both said they wouldn't vote for Hillary Clinton and to my knowledge no BLM groups endorsed either Trump or Clinton. BLM is a movement exist outside of the liberal vs conservative paradigm.

11 hours ago, waitforufo said:

So liberalism is dead. 

What?

Long live the brownshirts of Black Lives Matter. 

Asserting this is representative of BLM would lead one to conclude that all white men are mass murderers, because there are several mass murderers who are white men. It's just a massive failure of logic.

In what way is the US Constitution involved with the event that was described?

I think the OP is an example of a drunk post that started sober: 

A brooding anger and resentment that the arguments are continually refuted, with intelligent eloquence... Reach for the JD and a tumbler and pour and gulp, aha, this will stump the buggers, another gulp and reach for the laptop "Google, what was that thing I saw the other day?" another gulp, refill and repeat...

Two hours later and we're lucky the title isn't "Ha got ya ya smugg bastards".

Edited by dimreepr

11 hours ago, scherado said:

What are you attempting to convey with the quality "white" in the third sentence? (The "old" descriptor indicates a prejudiced/bigoted maladjustment with respect to age; the "man" characteristic, a.k.a. genitalia, indicates a sexist prejudiced/bigoted maladjustment with respect to sex-type.)

The constitution was written by white people, thus making it illegitimate.  Old because those white men lived a long time ago and are now all dead.  Man because women did not participate again making it illegitimate.  By using the slogans "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, "liberalism is white supremacy",  I believe this is what BLM is trying to communicate.  

9 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:
!

Moderator Note

waitforufo,

Could you possibly offer some points you wish to discuss? Currently, this thread looks like little more than an attempt at soap boxing. 

I find it provocative that at a liberal arts college like William & Mary that students would shut down free speech particularly when the speaker is an alumna from the ACLU.  Also, the chanting of "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, "liberalism is white supremacy" to be rather shocking.  Such slogans antithetical to our core beliefs and foundations as a nation.  My hope is that these students are all expelled from William & Mary.  What do you think?

7 hours ago, Area54 said:

One protest does not a revolution make. Do you think it does?

Clarification please. Are you conflating brownshirts with Black Lives Matter, or are your referencing a subset of Black Lives Matter. The distinction appears to be an important one.

Can you explain what you mean by this statement? It can be interpreted in many ways and so it would be easy to go off on a pointless tangent if one chose the wrong one.

They say they have a revolution, and this is how revolutions start.

BLM is shutting down the free speech of our nation's greatest advocate of free speech the ACLU.  I would not be surprised if they were burning books next. 

I defined my meaning for that statement above.

6 hours ago, rangerx said:

This is an international forum and as much as you'd like to believe it, it's not the constitution of the free world. It's an archaic document violently achieved in protest of the crown (how ironic is that).

Once again, iterating the false narrative that ANTIFA is inherently violent, therefore all liberals are inherently violent. Trump tried that and failed, as do you. Doubling down only makes it twice as absurd. Is there no abyss too deep to stoop?

A lot of outsiders are looking in as Americans pit themselves against each other in ridiculous, hypocritical, contentious and often deadly ways. For lack of a better analogy, your constitution is being perverted in the same manner the jihad perverts the Quran. Liberal, conservative... who cares, y'all look the same to me (to use a common American meme about others).

Free speech and freedom of the press are the cornerstones of your constitutional 1st Amendment, while your unhinged leader disrespects both on a daily basis as policy. Even calling for the persecution of those who lawfully protest his actions, yet nary a peep from the malcontent that so loudly claims to be a rigid constitutionalist. Heaven forbid had Obama done that, you'd be screaming impeachment from the rooftops and rounding up your 2nd Amendment buddies, huh? Well, maybe that's a little extreme and don't proclaim it hasn't been said by others, but definitely chanting "Lock him up", right?

The document that was a protest of the crown was the Declaration of Independence.  A document conceived in liberalism.  But liberalism is white supremacy right?

ANTIFA by it's own admission is inherently violent.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-rise-of-the-violent-left/534192/

No our constitution is being ignored.  

Site me a statute for a crime committed by anyone and I will be the first to say "Lock him up."

4 hours ago, swansont said:

In what way is the US Constitution involved with the event that was described?

Let's see, the article I referenced said BLM was chanting  "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution."

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I think the OP is an example of a drunk post that started sober: 

A brooding anger and resentment that the arguments are continually refuted, with intelligent eloquence... Reach for the JD and a tumbler and pour and gulp, aha, this will stump the buggers, another gulp and reach for the laptop "Google, what was that thing I saw the other day?" another gulp, refill and repeat...

Two hours later and we're lucky the title isn't "Ha got ya ya smugg bastards".

Not a JD drinker myself.  I prefer single malt scotch.

56 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

I believe this is what BLM is trying to communicate.  

BLM is shutting down the free speech of our nation's greatest advocate of free speech the ACLU.

ANTIFA by it's own admission is inherently violent.

BLM and antifa are movements, not organizations.

1 hour ago, waitforufo said:

The constitution was written by white people, thus making it illegitimate.  Old because those white men lived a long time ago and are now all dead.  Man because women did not participate again making it illegitimate.  By using the slogans "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, "liberalism is white supremacy",  I believe this is what BLM is trying to communicate.  

I find it provocative that at a liberal arts college like William & Mary that students would shut down free speech particularly when the speaker is an alumna from the ACLU.  Also, the chanting of "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, "liberalism is white supremacy" to be rather shocking.  Such slogans antithetical to our core beliefs and foundations as a nation.  My hope is that these students are all expelled from William & Mary.  What do you think?

What rule did they violate that warrants expulsion?

They say they have a revolution, and this is how revolutions start.

BLM is shutting down the free speech of our nation's greatest advocate of free speech the ACLU.  I would not be surprised if they were burning books next. 

I defined my meaning for that statement above.

The document that was a protest of the crown was the Declaration of Independence.  A document conceived in liberalism.  But liberalism is white supremacy right?

Let's see, the article I referenced said BLM was chanting  "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution."

I can understand, at some level, that someone who would have had no rights under the Constitution when it was written, and whose rights have been trampled subsequent to being declared "not property" might have an attitude regarding it. I don't think that should be too difficult to understand. 

Here's my confusion: It seems like you want people to defend certain viewpoints, but you are not asking the people who necessarily hold these viewpoints. Movements and political leanings are not monolithic. So what are the expectations here?

No our constitution is being ignored.  

What part of the Constitution was being ignored in this protest?

2 hours ago, swansont said:

BLM and antifa are movements, not organizations.

Your point?

1 hour ago, swansont said:

What rule did they violate that warrants expulsion?

They are inhibiting students from learning. 

So what are the expectations here?

I expect all students on campus to respect the rights of students to learn.

8 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

Your point?

You are making observations about them as if they were organizations, with a mission statement, code of conduct, etc. Which makes everything you say a bunch of straw men.

They are inhibiting students from learning. 

I expect all students on campus to respect the rights of students to learn.

I wish that nobody had gotten drunk and awakened me, interfering with my right to learn, back when I was in school. But that's a rather vague charge. Are we going to expel every student who interferes with learning in some way? Toss out that person who keeps a book checked out past its due date? And that person who gave me a cold and kept me out of class that one time. Expulsion!

You are making observations about them as if they were organizations, with a mission statement, code of conduct, etc. Which makes everything you say a bunch of straw men.

I wish that nobody had gotten drunk and awakened me, interfering with my right to learn, back when I was in school. But that's a rather vague charge. Are we going to expel every student who interferes with learning in some way? Toss out that person who keeps a book checked out past its due date? And that person who gave me a cold and kept me out of class that one time. Expulsion!

I am making observations about them as they presented themselves.

Your complaints about drunks and inconsiderate book borrowers are incidental.  This protest was a deliberate and successful attempt to inhibit learning.   

I was responding to this.

12 hours ago, rangerx said:

For lack of a better analogy, your constitution is being perverted in the same manner the jihad perverts the Quran. Liberal, conservative... who cares, y'all look the same to me (to use a common American meme about others).

So why not ask rangerx what part of the constitution is being perverted in the same manner as jihad perverts the Quran?  Since you don't ask I assume you agree.  

The constitution guarantees all Americans the right to assemble, and the right to free speech.  William & Mary is public university.  The rights of students who wanted to assemble and learn from Ms. Claire Gastañaga were violated by this protest at a government institution.  Good enough for you?

Edited by waitforufo

We hear all kinds of phony righteous indignation about players taking a knee at a football game lately. An affront to soldiers, the flag and all that yankee doodle dandy nonsense in complete absence of the real issue and it's underpinnings. Police brutality.

Then of course there's the Westboro Baptist Church,  who in reality, daily stalk and harass the families at funerals of fallen soldiers with horrible slurs, disruptive behavior, religious zeal, homophobic hate speak. Let's not ignore their high level of broadly perverse indoctrination among their children and followers. Yet nary a word from the likes of waitforufo who broadly condemns liberals for perception but not conservatives for their actions.

waitforufo is right-wing bigot by default, not reality. Using the n-word is not the standard that crosses the line of bigotry, it's merely a  last resort when all other discord and hostility has failed.

Last time I checked, Nazi and Neo-Nazi groups are violent groups. Violence was how they were destroyed and they rise again. Violence is all they understand.

I read back, but nothing by waitforufo condemning nazi violence. Nada. Zip. Yet here he stands, insisting everyone repudiate everyone he demands.

Hypocrisy at it's height.

33 minutes ago, rangerx said:

We hear all kinds of phony righteous indignation about players taking a knee at a football game lately. An affront to soldiers, the flag and all that yankee doodle dandy nonsense in complete absence of the real issue and it's underpinnings. Police brutality.

Then of course there's the Westboro Baptist Church,  who in reality, daily stalk and harass the families at funerals of fallen soldiers with horrible slurs, disruptive behavior, religious zeal, homophobic hate speak. Let's not ignore their high level of broadly perverse indoctrination among their children and followers. Yet nary a word from the likes of waitforufo who broadly condemns liberals for perception but not conservatives for their actions.

waitforufo is right-wing bigot by default, not reality. Using the n-word is not the standard that crosses the line of bigotry, it's merely a  last resort when all other discord and hostility has failed.

Last time I checked, Nazi and Neo-Nazi groups are violent groups. Violence was how they were destroyed and they rise again. Violence is all they understand.

I read back, but nothing by waitforufo condemning nazi violence. Nada. Zip. Yet here he stands, insisting everyone repudiate everyone he demands.

Hypocrisy at it's height.

These are the chants of BLM protesters; "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, "liberalism is white supremacy.  Do you agree with these chants?  I'm particularly interested in the chant "Liberalism is white supremacy.  In case you didn't notice, that is the subject of this topic.  Do you have an opinion or not? 

Everything you posted above is nonsense.  I have in fact commented several times in Science Forums on the subject of Nazi's.  I have pointed out how similar the treatment of Jews by the Nazi's is to how the Democratic party has treated African Americans.  In so doing I have condemned both the Nazi party and the Democratic Party.  Where have you been?  I have never once used the N-word.  In fact many consider me simply a be red N-word.  Also, I have not commented on the the football game knee taking.  I will however point out that the Star Spangled Banner is about the heroics of soldiers defending our nation from invasion.  It is not about the police.  Also, the knee taking is designed to be offensive.  Without the offense it would not be a protest.  

Edited by waitforufo

1 minute ago, waitforufo said:

I have pointed out how similar the treatment of Jews by the Nazi's is very similar to how the Democratic party has treated African Americans.  In so doing I have condemned both the Nazi party and the Democratic Party.  Where have you been.  I have never once used the N-word.  In fact may consider me simply a red N-word.  Also I have not commented on the the football game knee taking.  I will however point out that the Star Spangle Banner is about the heroics of soldiers defending our nation from invasion.  It is not about the police.   

False equivalence, across the board. if you read back, the n-word is a last resort not the first. Toeing that line makes you a moderate-to-strong bigot, one step short of an extremist.

And just so you know, I condemn censorship in the strongest terms. I'm sure Berkley sticks in your craw. Violently opposing free speech is an issue some people need to address. Let's not kid ourselves, reverse racism exists too. Most liberals agree with me, but you'll have none of it. Your narrative is liberal bad conservative good, period.

The difference being, I am able and willing to address the underlying issues. Not like you, who conflates those issues into something they're not.

5 minutes ago, rangerx said:

False equivalence, across the board. if you read back, the n-word is a last resort not the first. Toeing that line makes you a moderate-to-strong bigot, one step short of an extremist.

And just so you know, I condemn censorship in the strongest terms. I'm sure Berkley sticks in your craw. Violently opposing free speech is an issue some people need to address. Let's not kid ourselves, reverse racism exists too. Most liberals agree with me, but you'll have none of it. Your narrative is liberal bad conservative good, period.

The difference being, I am able and willing to address the underlying issues. Not like you, who conflates those issues into something they're not.

False equivalence? Why is that?  Is it because the Democratic party had more time to ingrain racism into American culture.  They did have four score and seven years.  Oh yeah, I forgot about an additional five score when you include jim crow.

This topic is in large measure a defense of the ACLU.  Do you happen to know their political persuasion?  

Edited by waitforufo

3 minutes ago, waitforufo said:

So you still haven't answered my question.  Do you agree with BLM that liberalism is white supremacy?   

Well, white supremacy exists. Liberalism exists. Apples and oranges, but your stance is that because the two are not the same that fruit does not exist.

Just now, rangerx said:

Well, white supremacy exists. Liberalism exists. Apples and oranges, but your stance is that because the two are not the same that fruit does not exist.

Nonsense.  You were just condemning me for my opinions of liberals.  Yet when BLM equates liberalism, the core of political liberal ideology, with white supremacy you equivocate.  Do you support the liberal positions of the ACLU on free speech or not?  If you do, don't you think you should condemn this chant of BLM?  Don't you wonder why the BLM movement has go so far astray?