Lotus Notes 'Error reading NSF file'

mtassis

I just did the latest updates to Lotus Notes and on my desktop it is working ok, however, on my laptop i cannot open one very important NSF file. Error message: 'Error reading NSF file'. I went to the Lotus Notes support site and followed directions, still no joy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Lotis Notes. The same error. 
How to avoid this error messages and why it is happening??

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps other application is opening this file in read/write exclusive access mode.. ?

Perhaps access to file is restricted? Application might not have permission to open file in certain mode (read/write,shared/exclusive).

Try running Lotus in admin mode.

Try opening file in other application, to see whether it's possible to read from it.

Try copying it to public available folder.

File is in shared folder in network?

Many times when I had folder shared in network, after copying file, and trying to access it from 2nd machine in network, file could not be opened, because it was already in use on initial machine (for whatever reason, usually bug in application in which programmer "forgot" to close file.. shutting down application used to write file, closed file for real, and I was able to open it from network machine).

Try following procedure: on desktop machine archive file, mail it to your self, on laptop open mail, unpack archive in public folder, and try opening it from application. Archives have checksum error codes, to verify files are unpacked correctly.

Edited by Sensei

The most likely problem is a damaged lotus notes file. Perhaps a lotus notes forum or support group has a file repair program for nsf files. Also perhaps a backup or having the file originator send you another copy.
Take a look on Google's search results:
http://www.lotusnotes.repair/
Lotus Notes repair support site: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21219591/