A few questions about Microbiology.

Dag

Information relevant to the topic

Hello I am Dag and I am 15, I have an issue with fainting to exposure to organs, needles when used on me and extreme detail on biological functions and I want to go into Microbiology for a career but the following questions I have been looking to be answered but can't find any answers

The questions

1. How can I get over this fainting issue, I have tried to do the "Exposure" method (When I try to get used to the stimulus that causes the fainting|) but that wouldn't work?

2. If I do go into microbiology what grades will I need and what higher education courses will I need?

I think you just have to keep exposing yourself to the thoughts and imagery....maybe do in stages. Look at stuff first that only mildly disturbs you and work through it until you are unaffected. I think it's partly ignorance about the subject that causes the revulsion, The more you learn about it, the less bothered you'll become. I have a bit more than a passing interest in the microflora that occupy the alimentary canal and so poo is an integral part of the subject! :D This caused all sorts of not-so-nice thoughts and responses in me but once you start analysing properly, they just become processes and components.

With regards to your second question, I can offer some general thoughts.  Some branches of microbiology overlap with genetics, molecular biology, and biochemistry.  Therefore, general chemistry and organic chemistry would be good courses to take, even if you majored in biology as an undergraduate.  

In micro, I think you can easily get away with never seeing an organ. I guess it depends exactly where you go with it. I am unsure what is meant by this though:

On 22/09/2017 at 3:18 AM, Dag said:

extreme detail on biological functions

Could you clarify?

In any case, I am not sure of ways to get over it per say. I would advise that if you can't, then maybe there is something else you are interested in? Genetics perhaps? Or biochemistry? You probably won't really know until you start getting into it in college anyway, and in actual research settings. Keep your mind open to other possibilities. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2017 at 1:18 PM, Dag said:

Information relevant to the topic

Hello I am Dag and I am 15, I have an issue with fainting to exposure to organs, needles when used on me and extreme detail on biological functions and I want to go into Microbiology for a career but the following questions I have been looking to be answered but can't find any answers

The questions

1. How can I get over this fainting issue, I have tried to do the "Exposure" method (When I try to get used to the stimulus that causes the fainting|) but that wouldn't work?

2. If I do go into microbiology what grades will I need and what higher education courses will I need?

Lol, a C or higher if you are taking AP courses, if you are taking easier courses I would say B or higher for a Microbiologist your entire major would look like this and I dunno about your fainting.

Ball State University Microbiology Requirements.