For the Brits: magneti(s/z)e, magneti(s/z)ation, re(-)magneti(s/z)ation, re(-)magneti(s/z)e

Function

Hello everyone

A special request for the Brits here: how would you write the words in the title of this thread? I'm writing my thesis in British English:

• Magnetise vs. magnetize
  • Magnetisation vs. magnetization
  • Remagnetisation vs. remagnetization vs. re-magnetisation vs. re-magnetization
  • Remagnetise vs. remagnetize vs. re-magnetise vs. re-magnetize (and conjugations, e.g. remagnetised etc.)

Thanks!

Michael

44 minutes ago, Function said:

I'm writing my thesis in British English:

•  

Good move! The principle is that words taken from French are spelled with -ise, for example advertise, advise, apprise, chastise, circumcise. But words taken directly from Greek follow the spelling of the Greek infinitive ending -izein, so have endings -ize.

I think therefore that the best procedure is to use -ize except for the small number which require the -ise. This issue is a minefield, and nobody agrees. If your spellchecker shows up with an error, the chances are that it is correct because the spellcheckers are all American.

1 minute ago, studiot said:

According to the bible (Oxford English Dictionary - OED) both are correct, but z would be the more common.

That is certainly the case in my straw poll of British scientific authors in that field, especially post 1970.

Dscn4354.jpg

Marvellous. Might consider buying one. Thanks to both of you!

-ize or -ise & -yze or -yse?
The following is taken from the Oxford Dictionary for Scientific Writers and Editors
(ISBN 0-19-853920-7).
-ize (or -ise)
In British English the -ize form of this suffix is now often the recommended ending for most verbs, with -ise as an accepted variant. It is important to chose a convention and stick to it, i.e. do not use more than one spelling of the same word in the same document. (See also Spelling in General.)

Examples

ionize
metabolize
minimize
organize
photosynthesize
polarize
utilize

Words always spelt -ise

advise
advertise
arise
comprise
compromise
devise
enterprise
excise
improvise
incise merchandise
revise
supervise
surmise
surprise
televise

Note that these verbs have the ending -ise in both British and American English. (This group of words stems from the Latin, in contrast to the first group which stems from the Greek.)

The endings -ization or -isation, -izing or -ising follow from the -ize or -ise form. 

http://www.wordforword.se/download/iseize.pdf

6 minutes ago, Function said:

Marvellous. Might consider buying one. Thanks to both of you!

That is the shorter version, note the page number for the letter m.

:o

But is really is a good book.

No I would not use a hyphen like that, although Americans do and it makes spell checkers a real pain.

I might use the hyphen to separate two vowels say in re-edit, but not in remagnetization, it serves no pupose there.

Edited by studiot