Is it possible to use conformity to improve one's self?

TrevorC

First of all, pardon me if the question sounds stupid but i do not know a lot about conformity. That is the exact reason why i am asking here. Since conformity is someone's need to "blend with the group", what if i start associating myself with people that have really good habits. For example a group of people that are very athletic and exercise often. Will i feel the need to exercise? In this particular situation won't that improve my health? Or does it not work when i am aware of it? Thank you in advance!

Probably, yes. You're likely to pick up qualities of the group you hang out with most often and with whom you identify. Just keep in mind there are a lot of really terrible and horrible people out there who also happen to be extremely fit and physically healthy, so choose wisely.

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

Probably, yes. You're likely to pick up qualities of the group you hang out with most often and with whom you identify. Just keep in mind there are a lot of really terrible and horrible people out there who also happen to be extremely fit and physically healthy, so choose wisely.

Thank you very much for the answer!

For the same reasons that governing dynamics at the evolutionary biology at the genetic level generates extended phenotypes known as humans to have a desire to conform, you do not have to worry about your knowledge of conformity interfering with your desire to do whatever it is that the people you wish to conform with are doing.

A more mature explanation would be: you're a dynamical system. You're body is a medley of 50-75 trillion cells, regulated by around 86 billion neurons which respond to the interpersonal signs in other faces and other voices, all the while being physically and thermodynamically coherent with the environment around us. 

So yes. So long as you relax yourself (i.e. your self-consciousness) you will instinctively assimilate self-object structures through the feelings communicated via interpersonal signaling processes. We can't help but be this way. We are virtually communicating with 'self-states' that are basically identical in their self-regulatory function as motivational states (or states that work from certain feelings/emotions) with certain 'objects' as their ends. 

Essentially, yes. The human mind is a complex electrochemical balance system that can very easily be shifted simply by your own willpower. If the group puts auxiliary pressure on you to do those good habits it helps as well. All you have to do is say to yourself "Self! I want to be like these people! Lets do this!" It's actually quite a clever and mature way to set a goal for yourself, one that makes you one of the most mature users I have ever encountered before on this site. Hope you got your answer!

Sincerely,

Radiochemist