Antacids side-effects

xhiuang

Hi, 

I would like to ask whether anyone has expertise on the topic of antacids and side-effects. I was wondering what would happen if you take magnesium-based antacids and aluminium-based antacids at the same time. Would there be a clash in side-effects of diarrhoea and constipation or whichever is higher in content? What happens if they're the same content and orally taken.

Regards,

Although you have posted this in Organic Chemistry it is really a health question. It is generally not considered a good idea to seeks answers to medical questions on an internet forum. I would suggest you treat any replies you receive cautiously. For one thing, I suspect the effects could vary significantly between individuals.

You can get combined aluminium-magnesium antacids that apparently reduce the incidence of constipation and diarrhoea but I definitely wouldn't go self-medicating and experimenting with combining different preparations.  Chronic heartburn or GERD shouldn't be treated lightly because it can lead to Barrett's Oesophagus  which can lead to oesophogeal cancer if ignored for a long time. In a nutshell, one should go to a doctor and get diagnosed and prescribed properly... because you are worth it.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:10 AM, Area54 said:

Although you have posted this in Organic Chemistry it is really a health question. It is generally not considered a good idea to seeks answers to medical questions on an internet forum. I would suggest you treat any replies you receive cautiously. For one thing, I suspect the effects could vary significantly between individuals.

"Not considered a good idea" by whom? Is there any member of this forum who doesn't use the internet to look for answers when they have health questions? Even doctors use Google and internet forums when seeking answers to medical questions.

There is a big difference between asking questions about side effects of antacids, and which treatment an individual. should follow to treat their Crohn's disease. We should remember to keep things in perspective.

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

"Not considered a good idea" by whom?

It is not considered a good idea by me. If I have interpreted Sting Junky's remarks correctly, " In a nutshell, one should go to a doctor and get diagnosed and prescribed properly", it is not considered a good idea by him.

Is there any member of this forum who doesn't use the internet to look for answers when they have health questions?

I don't.

Even doctors use Google and internet forums when seeking answers to medical questions.

They have the training to correctly interpret and evaluate the information they find there.

We should remember to keep things in perspective.

Which is precisely why I advised xhiuang that " It is generally not considered a good idea to seeks answers to medical questions on an internet forum", rather than stating "never, under any circumstances seek any information concerning medical issues online", and why I suggested " treat any replies you receive cautiously", rather than "ignore any replies you receive to your question".

You should remember to keep things in perspective.

Just now, Area54 said:

The side effects of antacids as they relate to health. i.e. a medical question.

So what? Medical questions are not verboten. Who cares if I ask my workmate whether or not an over the counter anti-fungal helped his jock itch? He's not asking whether or not to continue his chemotherapy. As I said, perspective is important.

2 minutes ago, zapatos said:

So what? Medical questions are not verboten. Who cares if I ask my workmate whether or not an over the counter anti-fungal helped his jock itch? He's not asking whether or not to continue his chemotherapy. As I said, perspective is important.

You know the background of your workmate. You know how they are likely to use the information you give them. We do not know the background of the OP.

The responsible thing to do is to sound a note of caution. I did that. It took less than a minute.

The irresponsible thing to do is to argue that it really doesn't matter, because its only about antacids. (And when has acid reflux ever been a problem, or diarrhoea? :rolleyes: ) It turns out this takes considerably longer than a minute. I've stated my position. I've understood yours. Feel free to have the last word.

On 10/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, StringJunky said:

You can get combined aluminium-magnesium antacids that apparently reduce the incidence of constipation and diarrhoea but I definitely wouldn't go self-medicating and experimenting with combining different preparations.  Chronic heartburn or GERD shouldn't be treated lightly because it can lead to Barrett's Oesophagus  which can lead to oesophogeal cancer if ignored for a long time. In a nutshell, one should go to a doctor and get diagnosed and prescribed properly... because you are worth it.

Hi StringJunky,

Thank you for your response. I didn't know they sold aluminium-magnesium antacids with such health effects. It is truly interesting. I also appreciate the extra information on Barrett's Oesophagus.

On 10/09/2017 at 8:10 PM, Area54 said:

On 12/09/2017 at 11:21 AM, zapatos said:

"Not considered a good idea" by whom? Is there any member of this forum who doesn't use the internet to look for answers when they have health questions? Even doctors use Google and internet forums when seeking answers to medical questions.

There is a big difference between asking questions about side effects of antacids, and which treatment an individual. should follow to treat their Crohn's disease. We should remember to keep things in perspective.

Hi Area54 and zapatos, 

I appreciate the concern and care. I will be more mindful in where I post these questions. I had the intention of finding out the answer to my question because I was studying organic chemistry recently. No worries, I will not do any experimenting on myself anytime soon :)

5 hours ago, xhiuang said:

I appreciate the concern and care. I will be more mindful in where I post these questions. I had the intention of finding out the answer to my question because I was studying organic chemistry recently. No worries, I will not do any experimenting on myself anytime soon :)

it's not where you posted, it's the way you worded the question that left us unsure whether you were asking an academic question or seeking advice. As I''m sure you understand, it would be irresponsible to give medical advice.

Hi xhiuang, like StringJunky (but unlike Zapatos) my concern was that you might be thinking of experimenting with various mixes in an attempt to solve a problem. As String and I have noted this could be risky. I'm delighted to hear you were merely curious about the biochemical aspects, in general. Good luck with your studies.

8 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Hi xhiuang, like StringJunky (but unlike Zapatos) my concern was that you might be thinking of experimenting with various mixes in an attempt to solve a problem. As String and I have noted this could be risky. I'm delighted to hear you were merely curious about the biochemical aspects, in general. Good luck with your studies.

Since I don't seem to have made myself clear to this point, I will try one last time. My concern is with people being discouraged from using the internet to gather medical information. The internet contains a cornucopia of sites dedicated to health issues, even for those who are sadly not 'trained to correctly interpret and evaluate the information they find there'.  From sites hosted by major medical institutions such as Mayo, to forums dedicated to participants who are trying to deal with back pain or breastfeeding issues, there are sites dedicated to nearly every human condition which can help improve the lives of those who participate.

In opposition to Area54's self-imposed banishment from online medical information, and the discouragement of the use of the internet to seek medical information by others, I would like to join with the millions of people who have found valuable health information online and encourage everyone to reach out and tap the plethora of data and the experiences of others that is available to the unwashed masses.

The internet has brought the experience of millions and untold volumes of information from around the world together in one place. Don't let this resource available to help you improve your health pass you by.

Thank you Area54 for allowing me the last word.

7 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Since I don't seem to have made myself clear to this point, I will try one last time. My concern is with people being discouraged from using the internet to gather medical information. The internet contains a cornucopia of sites dedicated to health issues, even for those who are sadly not 'trained to correctly interpret and evaluate the information they find there'.  From sites hosted by major medical institutions such as Mayo, to forums dedicated to participants who are trying to deal with back pain or breastfeeding issues, there are sites dedicated to nearly every human condition which can help improve the lives of those who participate.

In opposition to Area54's self-imposed banishment from online medical information, and the discouragement of the use of the internet to seek medical information by others, I would like to join with the millions of people who have found valuable health information online and encourage everyone to reach out and tap the plethora of data and the experiences of others that is available to the unwashed masses.

The internet has brought the experience of millions and untold volumes of information from around the world together in one place. Don't let this resource available to help you improve your health pass you by.

Thank you Area54 for allowing me the last word.

I have found it invaluable too for a few conditions I've had, particularly with thoughts from  the like-afflicted and managing chronic conditions.  I think, in this subject, each thread needs to be assessed on its own merits.

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I have found it invaluable too for a few conditions I've had, particularly with thoughts from  the like-afflicted and managing chronic conditions.  I think, in this subject, each thread needs to be assessed on its own merits.

I agree that each thread needs to be considered individually. And of course trying to diagnose someone online is a fool's errand.

Personally, I have chronic back issues and I've found a lot of help by talking online to people in similar situations.