mad_scientist

Do you think humans will ever make it illegal to inflect pain on other lifeforms (e.g. insects, bats ,rats etc.) as we head into the future?

Will humans ever treat other animals with the care and respect they deserve as the human population becomes more humane in time? What do you think? Is it inevitable that the human population will treat other animals as good as how we treat other human beings?

Phi for All    4741

The differences between your title and your opening post make it difficult to respond. You seem to be making assumptions in the post that aren't present in the title. 

DrP    347

In this country - the UK - it isn't legal to be cruel to animals...  I think there is a line and people do swat flies and kill bugs and stuff.... some kids get angry and take out their frustration on animals...  (I once saw a 6 year old girl kick a kitten   -  I said to her "owwww...  you mustn't hurt him!" and tried to look sad....   she then looked sad and ran away.  I hoped she would feel guilt and shame (mildly of course) and change her ways...  if I had scolded her she might have got even more bitter about whatever it was that was troubling her and she might have got worse with her animal violence). 

The RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) do have some powers and can impose heafty fines on people that mistreat or neglect their pets. We aren't perfect - we are human animals after all and such is nature...  there is some cruelty in it.....   but I think we are improving and laws preventing animal suffering are improving (like banning of fox hunting and badger baiting)....  English people that go to Spain to watch a bull fight sometimes get shunned, shamed and ostricised a bit if they talk about how good it was when they return for example. 

Moontanman    1949
9 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

Will humans ever treat other animals with the care and respect they deserve as the human population becomes more humane in time? What do you think? Is it inevitable that the human population will treat other animals as good as how we treat other human beings?

Are we talking about survival, self defence or just for fun? 

EdEarl    648

Buddhists tend to avoid harming animals, including people, and has been for up to 3000 years. IDK when the practice started.

On 10/09/2017 at 0:09 PM, Moontanman said:

Are we talking about survival, self defence or just for fun? 

For fun.

On 10/09/2017 at 4:00 AM, DrP said:

English people that go to Spain to watch a bull fight sometimes get shunned, shamed and ostricised a bit if they talk about how good it was when they return for example. 

Good to hear some progress for humanity happening.

On 10/09/2017 at 1:51 PM, EdEarl said:

Buddhists tend to avoid harming animals, including people, and has been for up to 3000 years. IDK when the practice started.

Not really. Reality check:

images (2).jpg

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

images (3).jpg

images (4).jpg

images (5).jpg

images (6).jpg

mistermack    36

It's difficult to police, so we tend to ignore animals "below" the level of rats. I don't see that changing much in the near future.

What's also interesting, is how we treat machines with artificial intelligence. If it's morally bad to mistreat an ant, then isn't it just as bad to mistreat a machine that is far advanced of the ant in every way? Maybe it depends on whether the machine has been given a sense of personal identity, and a desire to keep existing.

What would it be like to say to your computer, "I'm scrapping you, because I've bought the new model".

I already feel bad about scrapping my car. And it doesn't speak to me or interact. What if people in the future chat to their cars all the time? ( with the car doing the driving) You might feel really bad about scrapping it.

EdEarl    648

@mad_scientist

I said Buddhist tend to be non violent; in other words, there are exceptions. People are emotional and irrational sometimes, including Buddhists. Moreover, killing with compassion, for example to save more lives than one takes, is acceptable. Finally, people with bad intentions, for example mass murderers occur in populations around the world, including Buddhist populations, and spread mayhem whoever they are.

Laws against murder are common throughout the world, but they do not prevent killing. Similarly, laws exist in some places that discourage cruelty to animals, but they don't prevent it. I doubt such laws have any effect on people who commit such heinous acts.

Moontanman    1949
2 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

For fun.

Even among hunting circles killing for fun, fun is defined as killing an animal but not using or having any use for the corpse/body. Even among experienced hunters this is often frowned on with extreme prejudice. Hunters often share the meat of the kill with everyone who participated, with soup kitchens, or with friends and family. I have a small store of venison in my freezer and I do not hunt. 

Fishing is a bit less clear due to the fact that fish can and often are released unharmed if they are not going to be cooked for food. 

Commercial fishing is a problem, due to bycatch and fact that bycatch is often killed by the nets and wasted...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

bimbo36    14

In some  parts of india , people are not allowed to eat beef .The hindu majority will kill the muslim minority if you eat cow . Cow is considered sacred and is some sort of god .

geordief    47

Does "charity begin at home"?

First be kind to yourself and ,on that basis your treatment of others will be similarly characterized.

This behaviour may propagate in widening circles of "influence" ,passing through friends,colleagues ,family etc ,extending to other creatures at the end of the road.(even objects).

Like all rules this would exist to be broken and adapted to circumstance.