Superfine copper powder successfully applicated in antibacterial fabrics

cassielye

A Chinese Company cooperated with Suzhou Canfuo Nanotechnology Co., Ltd, using acrylic fibers, dacron, chinlon and polypropylene fiber mixed respectively with superfine copper powder to make master batch which can be generated into fibers by melting in high temperature and then through Spinneret hole with high pressure. The fibers are woven to fabrics.

So far, it has been already tested repeatedly and turned out that it can kill 90% bacteria. A new kind of antibacterial fabrics was invented. The principle of killing bacteria is that the tiny amount of super copper powder added in the fabrics has  excellent function killing and anti-bacteria ability.

This new kind of antibacterial fabrics has many advantages:

1.     copper is essential microelements to human’s body , this antibacterial fabric does no harm to human’s health and can protect people’s health from bacteria.

2.     As superfine copper powder is much more cost-effective than silver, it will be more affordable than antibacterial fabrics with silver.

In the near future, there will be a expected big market for this new kind of antibacterial fabrics which can applicated widely in many fields like sheets in hospitals, towels, table cloth, people’s clothes, etc , to help anti bacteria and prevent the spread of bacteria.

On 31.08.2017 at 9:42 AM, cassielye said:

1.     copper is essential microelements to human’s body , this antibacterial fabric does no harm to human’s health and can protect people’s health from bacteria.

Copper abundance can be harmful to some people.

"Wilson's disease is a genetic disorder in which copper builds up in the body. Symptoms are typically related to the brain and liver."

"Wilson's disease occurs in about 1 in 30,000 people. Symptoms usually begin between the ages of 5 and 35 years. Males and females are equally affected. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

Edited by Sensei

7 hours ago, Sensei said:

"Wilson's disease is a genetic disorder in which copper builds up in the body. Symptoms are typically related to the brain and liver."

"Wilson's disease occurs in about 1 in 30,000 people. Symptoms usually begin between the ages of 5 and 35 years. Males and females are equally affected. "

A vital consideration for those who eat clothing.

The people who suffer from Wilson's disease end up taking drugs to help shift the excess copper in their diet.
The contribution from clothing is likely to be negligible in comparison.

36 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Why would i want to harm my bodys commensal bacteria  when their presence protects me?

Do you use soap and water to wash with?

If so, you have answered your own question.

Having said that, it still sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

10 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Do you use soap and water to wash with?

If so, you have answered your own question.

Having said that, it still sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

The difference is in intent. There's also a difference in efficacy. You don't want to annihilate the population. That should have been obvious when I used the word 'commensal'.

Many metals have antibacterial, antiviral and anti-yeast properties. Some like arsenic and lead are too poisonous. Silver is used in some antibacterial creams, but there is concern that silver nano particles aren't good for people. Perhaps copper is both safe and effective.

I think nickle door knobs are also antibacterial, and nickle is commonly used on door knobs, but the stainless steel knobs should be replaced. .

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

The difference is in intent. There's also a difference in efficacy. You don't want to annihilate the population. That should have been obvious when I used the word 'commensal'.

How did you come to the conclusion that the intent in the OP was to "annihilate the population" when it actually says it "turned out that it can kill 90% bacteria"?

47 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

How did you come to the conclusion that the intent in the OP was to "annihilate the population" when it actually says it "turned out that it can kill 90% bacteria"?

And that doesn't suggest that he would find killing all of them desirable? Also, this bit, to me, infers that killing them is a good thing and note the non-sequiter: If he'd said that copper had specificity for some or all pathogenic species that would be different.

On 31/08/2017 at 8:42 AM, cassielye said:

....  copper is essential microelements to human’s body , this antibacterial fabric does no harm to human’s health and can protect people’s health from bacteria.

Edited by StringJunky

Well, as you quoted; it says they are seeking to protect human health and as anyone who thinks about it (or watched yogurt adverts) knows that means not killing the "good  guys".

Even the human immune system can't reliably tell good guys from bad guys in this context.
However, hospital sheets + towels that reduce the spread of antibiotic resistance between species  look like a good idea to me.

What would you propose instead (given clearly limited financial resources in healthcare)?

On 2017/9/2 at 11:51 AM, Sensei said:

so suitable amount is the point

14 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Well, as you quoted; it says they are seeking to protect human health and as anyone who thinks about it (or watched yogurt adverts) knows that means not killing the "good  guys".

Even the human immune system can't reliably tell good guys from bad guys in this context.
However, hospital sheets + towels that reduce the spread of antibiotic resistance between species  look like a good idea to me.

What would you propose instead (given clearly limited financial resources in healthcare)?

we would be happy who need do this test to take raw material from us to get more deep research.

On 2017/9/2 at 11:51 AM, Sensei said:

healthy amount of copper quantity will need do research

On 2017/9/2 at 7:17 PM, John Cuthber said:

A vital consideration for those who eat clothing.

The people who suffer from Wilson's disease end up taking drugs to help shift the excess copper in their diet.
The contribution from clothing is likely to be negligible in comparison.

yes,small amount

18 hours ago, EdEarl said:

Many metals have antibacterial, antiviral and anti-yeast properties. Some like arsenic and lead are too poisonous. Silver is used in some antibacterial creams, but there is concern that silver nano particles aren't good for people. Perhaps copper is both safe and effective.

I think nickle door knobs are also antibacterial, and nickle is commonly used on door knobs, but the stainless steel knobs should be replaced. .

nickel harmful to health

On 03/09/2017 at 8:51 AM, John Cuthber said:

There's evidence that copper is antibacterial etc.

I'm not sure if replacing the hospitals doorknobs with brass ones might not be a better investment.

http://mbio.asm.org/content/3/6/e00489-12.abstract

Thank you for the information. I was unaware of that. I was suspicious of the item because I tend to associate copper, as a remedial substance, with New Age hippies and copper bracelets to ward off all manner of illnesses.

Brass (active ingredient is copper)  or copper doorknobs need to be polished regularly to remove corrosion from the salts in sweat to maintain the desired properties since it's the free metal that has them. I suppose the same applies to impregnated fabrics.

While copper found in everyday brass items such as door handles and water taps has an antimicrobial effect on bacteria and is widely used to prevent the spread of disease, Dr John Bond OBE from the University of Leicester’s Department of Chemistry has discovered that peoples’ sweat can, within an hour of contact with the brass, produce sufficient corrosion to adversely affect its use to kill a range of microorganisms, such as those which might be encountered in a hospital and which can be easily transferred by touch or by a lack of hand hygiene.

Dr Bond explained: “The antimicrobial effect of copper has been known for hundreds of years.  It is thought to occur as a result of a charge exchange between copper and bacteria, which leads to a degradation of the bacteria DNA.  We have discovered that the salt in sweat corrodes the metal, forming an oxide layer on its surface, which is the process of corrosion - and this corrosive layer is known to inhibit the effect of the copper. We have shown that it is possible for sweat to produce an oxide layer on the metal within an hour of contact. http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2014/june/groundbreaking-research-finds-human-sweat-can-reduce-bacteria-defences-in-hospitals-and-schools

20 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Brass (active ingredient is copper)  or copper doorknobs need to be polished regularly to remove corrosion from the salts in sweat to maintain the desired properties since it's the free metal that has them.

Yes and no.
It needs polishing.

People's hands do that automatically (except on door handles that are used seldom enough that most of the bugs would die anyway).
Copper salts are used as bactericides and preservatives. Fatty acid salts of copper are used as fungicides. It's not unreasonable to imagine that the salts made from the sweat left behind would work.

http://www.fertilome.com/ProductFiles/41719 Copper Soap Fungicide 32oz Label.pdf

And there's also the fact that a study on door handles showed they killed bugs. The report doesn't say they polished them specially.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.