Computer Repair Business.

Raider5678

Hello guys.

I've decided to start a small workshop where people bring me computers to repair/upgrade.(No, this is not advertisement.)

I can upgrade hard drives, rams(insanely easy actually) etc.

Basically, they'd have to come to me. However, I'm not expensive.

To get a routine checkup and fix minor problems would be $25. This would take about an hour. If I have to fix stuff and it takes longer then an hour, then it's an additional $10 for each hour.

Remember, they must come to me.

For ram upgrades it'll be $40 and they'll just drop it off and I'll install the ram. The main cost of that is because I have to find which ram it takes, what size, high density/low etc and then ship it.

Anyways, what do you guys think of this business plan?

And any tips?

If you do it just for fun and a few people that you know it is probably fine. However, if you really intend to run it as a business, you will need to look into paperwork, tax id numbers, bylaws etc. 

Also, even it is just for fun, be prepared for situations in which you either cannot fix the problem or accidentally break something.

26 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

First find out if there's a need in your catchment area.

Yes. There is a need. There is only one business that does stuff like this within 20 miles of my place. And they used to do small individual home computers, but now mainly focus on businesses. They do still do home computers but the prices are high for just home computers. At least what people that I've talked to seem to think. $60 for a security checkup.  Checkup. Not repair.

31 minutes ago, CharonY said:

If you do it just for fun and a few people that you know it is probably fine. However, if you really intend to run it as a business, you will need to look into paperwork, tax id numbers, bylaws etc. 

Also, even it is just for fun, be prepared for situations in which you either cannot fix the problem or accidentally break something.

Tax id numbers? I've already had to watch how much money I've been making so that I know I'm paying the proper amount of income tax. There's an accountant who does this for me. Is that enough?

By laws are not a problem. I've checked that out already. No problems.

If I cannot fix the problem they don't pay anything and I can refer them to a number of more qualified professionals.

If I do accidentally break something, I haven't fully prepared for that yet. However I'm looking into small business liability insurance. But I'm thinking I should wait a while for business to pick up because at the moment the cost of insurance would be at least twice as much as the income.

Also, I just noticed posts don't auto merge any more.

Edited by Raider5678

10 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

Hello guys.

I've decided to start a small workshop where people bring me computers to repair/upgrade.(No, this is not advertisement.)

I can upgrade hard drives, rams(insanely easy actually) etc.

Basically, they'd have to come to me. However, I'm not expensive.

To get a routine checkup and fix minor problems would be $25. This would take about an hour. If I have to fix stuff and it takes longer then an hour, then it's an additional $10 for each hour.

Remember, they must come to me.

For ram upgrades it'll be $40 and they'll just drop it off and I'll install the ram. The main cost of that is because I have to find which ram it takes, what size, high density/low etc and then ship it.

Anyways, what do you guys think of this business plan?

And any tips?

How much do you intend to earn per month? (x)

You will be working from home/apartment, or will have to rent room.. ? If you will have to rent, how much will it cost? (y)

Number of clients per month cannot be less than (x+y)/$25

For x=$5000, and y=$2000, you cannot have less than 7000/25=280 clients per month / 22 working days per month = ~ 13 clients per day. Do you think so it's reasonable quantity in your area.. ?

If I were you I would buy 3D printer, and offer 3D printing (perhaps with 3D modeling item).

You could also offer 2D scanning, 2D printing.

After investment in 3D scanner, also offer 3D scanning to local companies (or 3D scan, clean up mesh in 3D application, retopology, and 3D print copies).

There are 3D printers with exchangeable header module. So you can have laser,CNC,3D printer and couple other tools.

This model costs 740 ukp, the main part.
https://www.stepcraft.pl/pl/p/STEPCRAFT-1210-Kit/50

You can get special modules f.e. cutting laser. It could be interesting service for aircraft modeler.

You could print ad that you will 3D print/engrave anything and spread ad in your city. It could be interesting to car mechanics. Especially to make custom elements. f.e. engrave name of owner or symbol, on metal sheet.
Lawyers,doctors also like such engraved slabs. Find local lawyers and offer them service, and you will have return from investment straight away.

Edited by Sensei

9 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

Yes. There is a need. There is only one business that does stuff like this within 20 miles of my place. And they used to do small individual home computers, but now mainly focus on businesses. They do still do home computers but the prices are high for just home computers. At least what people that I've talked to seem to think. $60 for a security checkup.  Checkup. Not repair.

Small quantity of potential clients forces higher price for service. Otherwise they would bankrupt.

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Small quantity of potential clients forces higher price for service. Otherwise they would bankrupt.

Or, large quantity but little supply means higher prices.

Just a few years ago it was a 1 man business.

Now there is 6.

To note, there is a lot of business near us. We live pretty much within equal distance from three major cities, and within a fairly large growing industrial town. They have a lot of business clients.

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

How much do you intend to earn per month? (x)

You will be working from home/apartment, or will have to rent room.. ? If you will have to rent, how much will it cost? (y)

Number of clients per month cannot be less than (x+y)/$25

For x=$5000, and y=$2000, you cannot have less than 7000/25=280 clients per month / 22 working days per month = ~ 13 clients per day. Do you think so it's reasonable quantity in your area.. ?

$1600 is the overall objective.

I work from home, so no rent.

So $1600 / $25 = 64 Clients a month / 22 working days =~ 3 clients per day.

Considering I'm just starting out I've assumed it'll take about 6 months to reach the point on one client a day, let alone 3.

I have plenty of money stored away, and as long as I don't go out and buy a new car or anything, I should be able to last 6 months off of that alone. I do have a part time job already, supplying me with plenty of income to supplement that already. The people that come in simply call me to schedule when they drop it off. Usually the same day. I have three business days that I'm completely open all hours.(Wednesday/Thursday/Friday) Because the part time job is over the weekend and Monday and Tuesday. I'm able to live with the part time job alone, but I figured starting a business could include an unknown amount of start up costs. 

Additionally, I'm going to have a document stating that if they want any important files saved they should tell me and I'll put it on a flash drive. So worse case scenario I can restore important files at the very least. If they forget to tell me that the pictures of diseased Uncle Joe on the fishing trip was important, then I'm not liable for that.