How to produce Sodium Oxide (Na2O) ?

Hucksson

Need to produce >95% pure Sodium Oxide, and want to know the easiest/cheapiest way to make it.

Does Sodium Carbonate decomposes completely at >900ºC (or 1000ºC, 1100ºC) to Sodium Oxide? Or it´s a partial decomposition? I found in wiki the decomposition point is 851ºC. But at other wiki page says the Na2CO3 can boil at 1600ºC. What is truth?

Or it´s better to heat Sodium Nitrite. I heated it, and NaNO2 doesn´t decompose at 800ºC.

Also know, the Sodium Ascorbate decompose at ~300ºC to make Sodium Oxide, but it´s very expensive.

There are other cheap compounds of sodium to make sodium oxide?

(Note: I haven´t Sodium metal to react with Sodium Hydroxide)

Please, help me. I can´t find the needed information.

Thanks for all answers.

Edited by Hucksson

I need only Na2O. Any other compounds will not work.

I created an ideal mixture to make sodium metal (Na2O + some NaNO2 + Al powder + Mg powder + ...). Na2O is better for it. Na2CO3 or NaOH will consume many Al powder, that is expensive. So I try to economize Al powder and increase production of Na metal.

I know NaOH is extremely hygroscopic. Na2O is even much more, so the mixture must be isolated from the atmosferic air all the time.

I want to produce Na2O and K2O.

I had produced Sodium/Potassium metals from (Na2CO3/K2CO3 + Mg powder) mixture (only for curiosity). Igniting the mixture and condensing the vapours in the steel container with cold water. But it´s very expensive.

Using method described above, I can produce large quantities of Sodium/Potassium metal for sell at high cost.

Edited by Hucksson

The mixture is:

Na2O - 45,9%

NaNO2 - 4,35%

Ca(NO3)2 anhydrous - 10,9%

Fe2O3 - 3,55%

Al2O3 - 9,1%

Al >350mesh - 18%

Mg >200mesh - 8,2%

The enthalpy of combustion is -207kj/mol. This mixture will need more Ca(NO3)2 + Mg, if it will not burn appropriately.

(At 100% yield, it produces 35,55% of Na, by mass.)

For now I need suggestions to make Na2O.

Edited by Hucksson

On 8/15/2017 at 6:23 AM, John Cuthber said:

Really?

What's it used for?

Ah I got that wrong, I was thinking of the flux in glassmaking but that's actually just sodium carbonate and sodium oxide is formed in situe.

As has been said before your best bet is to decompose carbonate. Can I ask what you need it for? There might be something else you could do to avoid Na2O Hucksonn

Edited by _Rick_