A much more serious gripe

In this thread the damn stupid editor, which was most definitely not WISIWYG, changed my typing in an equation so I can't type it in correctly and false information is presented in the posts.

I tried it three times, it was correct in the typing box, but changed as soon as I posted.

The edit typing box does not allow access to the super/subscript icons either.

So I can't change it back.

Blurgh. Does it maybe think that B in square brackets should mean the bold BBCode, even though BBCode is going away in favor of the allegedly-WYSIWYG editor?

A test: this will be bold if BBCode still works

I adjusted the super/subscript icons, so hopefully you should be able to access them.

edit: yes, it does think that. Why does BBCode still work?! And why did the tag work in your post without the corresponding closing tag?

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat

So the IT crowd are trying to steal the international symbol for Boron, written in a valid chemical equation.

Does this also apply to the symbols for Uranium and Sulphur and that chemists can no longer use these elements?

:)

I thought that I would not be allowed to write [ B ] any more when I woke up this morning.

When I need to write element symbol, in physics section of this forum, I am often using latex like f.e.

[math]_{92}U[/math]

21 minutes ago, studiot said:

So the IT crowd are trying to steal the international symbol for Boron, written in a valid chemical equation.

Does this also apply to the symbols for Uranium and Sulphur and that chemists can no longer use these elements?

[math]_{92}^{235}U \rightarrow _{90}^{231} Th + _2^4 He + 4.68 MeV[/math]

Edited by Sensei

Note that the editor deletes certain content.

Have you ever written a chemical rate equation, involving concentration?

Here is the original of the previous post.

Note what is there that is missing from the previous post.

screen2.jpg

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Note that the editor deletes certain content.

Have you ever written a chemical rate equation, involving concentration?

Here is the original of the previous post.

Note what is there that is missing from the previous post.

[ B ] is typical tag for Bold

[ I ] is tag for Italic,

[ U ] is tag for Underline.

[ S ] is tag for Strike

They need to be ended with appropriate tag-end [ / B ] or [ / I ] or [ / U ] or [ / S ].

If parser cannot find tag end, removes it entirely, because it thinks user made mistake while typing post.

That's why I wrote in the previous post, I am using Latex to keep them in their original unchanged form.

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

If parser cannot find tag end, removes it entirely, because it thinks user made mistake while typing post.

It doesn't delete it -- it makes the rest of the post bold, as you can see in studiot's example. It assumes the tag ends at the end of the post. I don't recall IPB 3.6 having this behavior, and I'd rather it leave the tag untouched than assume it should apply to the rest of the post.

Sensei did copy my workaround - to add spaces either side of the stolen letters.

Hopefully everyone, particularly those involved in Chemistry, now appreciate the message and understand that I am not just being awkward.

Edited by studiot