Do you think the religion of Islam will ever be respected in a planet where the majority of people are non-Muslims?

Jeremy_phillips

The majority of people are also mainly non-Christians.

The majority of people are also mainly non-Hindu.

The majority of people are also mainly non-Jewish.

The majority of people are also mainly non-Atheist.

etc. etc.

55 minutes ago, Jeremy_phillips said:

What are the major reasons for why so many non-Muslims look down on the Muslims of today?

One is the tendency of some to disdain things that are different (it's not like Muslims can claim to be the only ones looked down on by other religious groups), and another is the very prominent and violent actions of some who claim to represent the religion.

O Children (of) Israel! Remember My Favor which I bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds.

Terrorism and taking the law into their own hands is a very bad thing . therefore most  muslims look down upon such activities . we do not like shariah laws in our own country .It is so old and outdated . most of us  prefer peace and democracy ...

Edited by bimbo36

Quran is true because it is the word from God and Gabriel .Quran is true because it is like a high quality poetry that came from an illiterate Mohamed .Quran is true because the whole Quran rhymes like a mosquito . one of its kind ...There is no other books that sounds like it ...

Edited by bimbo36

There is nothing special about islam. There are plenty of people (some of which are muslims) who don't respect Christians, Jews or atheists.

A difference might be a different sense of humour or lack of self relativation, which causes a larger public outcry when someone "offends" islam?

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

Why should Islam be respected? That is the place to start. If islam is to be respected then the rights of others must be taken away, I respect people not beliefs, anything can be believed...

How so? I haven't lost any rights in the US, and followers of Islam are free to practice their faith.

32 minutes ago, swansont said:

How so? I haven't lost any rights in the US, and followers of Islam are free to practice their faith.

In the US I do not have to respect Islam or any other religion, I can say anything I want about any belief. Once respect is required, ie blasphemy laws, we lose freedom  of speech. If you are a Mormon, and I claim the LDS church is bullshit but the law requires i respect their beliefs I have lost freedom of speech. No religion is automatically respected except by laws that require it. If a law requires i respect your belief in anything I have lost freedom of thought and speech... 

45 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

In the US I do not have to respect Islam or any other religion, I can say anything I want about any belief. Once respect is required, ie blasphemy laws, we lose freedom  of speech. If you are a Mormon, and I claim the LDS church is bullshit but the law requires i respect their beliefs I have lost freedom of speech. No religion is automatically respected except by laws that require it. If a law requires i respect your belief in anything I have lost freedom of thought and speech... 

But we don't have blasphemy laws, so that's moot. So what rights have I lost?

And maybe your idea of respect is different from mine. There are legal limits on what you can do regarding other faiths, your personal views aside. They have first amendment rights, too.

15 hours ago, Jeremy_phillips said:

What are the major reasons for why so many non-Muslims look down on the Muslims of today?

I imagine a major reason is that when non-Muslims hear about Muslims it is most often in the context of Muslims killing people in the name of their religion.

If you don't know or work with Muslims, your primary knowledge of them will come from the news and stories of terrorism, ISIS, the Taliban, honor killings, women not being allowed to drive, morality police, stonings, etc.

It seems inevitable that eventually people will start to associate Muslims with violence, oppression and subjugation, and hence have a negative opinion of them.

8 minutes ago, swansont said:

And maybe your idea of respect is different from mine. There are legal limits on what you can do regarding other faiths, your personal views aside. They have first amendment rights, too.

If someone asserts something without evidence, I'm not obligated to dismiss it with evidence.

17 minutes ago, swansont said:

The only way to assure respect is indeed blasphemy laws. In the US if I was to harangue a street corner christian I would have that right. If I was in a restaurant that run by christians and they expected me to say grace and i refused because I thought it was a fairy tale that would be disrespect. When a particular religion comes to my door to bring me the good news i can tell them to take their fairy tales shove it where the sun doesn't shine and get off my property. If I was required to respect them that would obviously be disrespect. Islam considers anyone who doesn't follow their laws disrespect, a muslim following islamic law would consider a woman in a skirt with her hair not covered disrespect.  A billboard that showed a woman in a bikini would be disrespectful to Islam, do we stop such bill boards to save Islam's fragile feelings? As i said earlier, I respect individuals not beliefs, there are people that believe anyone who doesn't believe the way they do should be killed. Do I have to respect that belief?   The number of horrid things people believe is long and sad, the only thing I can respect is their ability to keep it to themselves.. 

What this comes down to is a choice between MY hostile line of though towards islam and the: "lets turn our heads away, be PC and rational" line of thought. There is no correct solution here but my self preservstion instinct telling me to fight.

3 hours ago, koti said:

What this comes down to is a choice between MY hostile line of though towards islam and the: "lets turn our heads away, be PC and rational" line of thought. There is no correct solution here but my self preservstion instinct telling me to fight.

I don't think I've ever met a Muslim fundamentalist and I have plenty of Muslim friends. I have to say that I have met Christian fundies and they are uniformly vile. I imagine fundie Muslims would be pretty much the same.

It's not the religion you should be opposed to - it's the fundamentalist mindset.

10 hours ago, Moontanman said:

The only way to assure respect is indeed blasphemy laws.

Bollocks.

In the US if I was to harangue a street corner christian I would have that right.

No, you don't. That's harassment, and is illegal.

If I was in a restaurant that run by christians and they expected me to say grace and i refused because I thought it was a fairy tale that would be disrespect. 

Again, your idea of respect is different from mine. I expect you've been in a number of restaurants run by Christians, and I doubt any of them overtly expected you to say grace. (It's not required in Chick-fil-A, for example). To require this would be against the law.

When a particular religion comes to my door to bring me the good news i can tell them to take their fairy tales shove it where the sun doesn't shine and get off my property. If I was required to respect them that would obviously be disrespect.

More bollocks. You can tell someone to get of your property without it being disrespect. Asserting your rights is not disrespect.

You seem to be equating respect with kowtowing.

Islam considers anyone who doesn't follow their laws disrespect, a muslim following islamic law would consider a woman in a skirt with her hair not covered disrespect.  A billboard that showed a woman in a bikini would be disrespectful to Islam, do we stop such bill boards to save Islam's fragile feelings? As i said earlier, I respect individuals not beliefs, there are people that believe anyone who doesn't believe the way they do should be killed. Do I have to respect that belief?   The number of horrid things people believe is long and sad, the only thing I can respect is their ability to keep it to themselves.. 

Forgive me if I don't take your word for what Islam expects of people.

Respecting a religion — that others are allowed to believe what they will (i.e. accepting the first amendment) does not mean you have to believe the same things. Similarly you can respect someone's right to free speech without having to agree with what they say. Disagreement is not disrespect. Obsequiousness is not respect.

7 hours ago, Manticore said:

I don't think I've ever met a Muslim fundamentalist and I have plenty of Muslim friends. I have to say that I have met Christian fundies and they are uniformly vile. I imagine fundie Muslims would be pretty much the same.

It's not the religion you should be opposed to - it's the fundamentalist mindset.

All religions are equally wrong in the context of putting faith before reason but not all religions are always equally bad all the time. If we were living in the 1930's I'd be all over Christianity for their open support of fascism but here, in 2017 the most toxic form of religion is Islam with its intrinsic fundamentalism (Sharia, Jihad)

Edited by koti

You are applying the North American norm, in an international forum, to a world wide religion, Swansont.

You can have 'art' depicting Christ and bodily excrement, and nothing much happens; Yet you publish cartoons depicting Mohammed and your offices and employees get shot up.
You can write an 'offensive' book about Christianity , as D Brown did, and not much happens; Yet if Salman Rushdie writes a book, Imans all over the world are calling for his death and there are protests in the streets of every Muslim country.

That IS an attempt to force respect for the religion through intimidation.
No-one has the 'right' to not be offended.

10 hours ago, koti said:

What are you going to fight? Have you ever met a fundamentalist (whatever the faith)? 

Wake up, the terrorists are waging war on the imagination and in your case, they've won...

Edited by dimreepr