How to change mind to not block the airway when talking?

positiveness

Hello dear people,

So I don't stutter when talking to anything but humans. I can even send voice messages to friends, record yt videos… But when I talk to another person directly, I block so that the words won’t come up. The “funny” thing is that the only reason I stutter is because I somehow block for any words to come out. As I mentioned before, I do not have any trouble whatsoever when talking to anything but a person, and the stutter that happen when talking to another person is just like when I am not talking to another person and try for fun to not let any words come out by blocking any air to leave but then I can just open up for the air and allow it to leave and let all the words come out smoothly(just like when you try to hold your breath for some time and then release it again). So why can't I just do this when talking to another person when the cause of my stutter(I somehow block the airflow and prohibit words to come out) is something that I just can play with without any trouble, like I can just let the words come out smoothly after I try to close the airway in my throat to not let words come out, when not talking to another person?

Thanks! I really appreciate your time.

I think you are insecure about who you are in front of other human beings. 

Contributing factors such as, fear, intimidation, social anxiety disorder, and lack of confidence, shyness.

Interacting with a living human beings is way different than a automated machine. No response feedback, no emotional connection to trigger your brain differently. And such.

Here is an article,

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-social-anxiety-disorder

Overall, overcome your social anxiety. 

Thanks for the quick reply @Baron d'Holbach! I will read the article that you have linked, but so your guess is that some sort of social anxienty can be the root of the blocks? Btw., 

No response feedback, no emotional connection to trigger your brain differently. And such.

are you also talking about cats, dogs, and similar? Thanks!

2 hours ago, positiveness said:

Thanks for the quick reply @Baron d'Holbach! I will read the article that you have linked, but so your guess is that some sort of social anxienty can be the root of the blocks? Btw., 

are you also talking about cats, dogs, and similar? Thanks!

Yes, you might have some sort of anxiety. And this might also be a genetic. 

You might have to confront and start being awkward in front of people now. What I mean is face your fear. And what this mean is go out and start talking to people and express yourself. And let loose. Everyday. In and out. Do it in a common sense way btw. 

And slowly you will eventually be able to start talking without a stutter.

1 hour ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

Yes, you might have some sort of anxiety. And this might also be a genetic. 

You might have to confront and start being awkward in front of people now. What I mean is face your fear. And what this mean is go out and start talking to people and express yourself. And let loose. Everyday. In and out. Do it in a common sense way btw. 

And slowly you will eventually be able to start talking without a stutter.

Thanks again.. and well, I do not think it is genetic at all. Nobody from my family has ever had trouble talking, more the opposite...

Edited by positiveness

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Practice. Are you familiar with George VI and the King's Speech?

Hmm, but I have practiced talking all my life. Actually, I have even tried different breathing techniques while talking.... :( In fact, I have tried to face my fear a lot of times and just tried to let the words come out but without much luck; I really try this many times a day, but each time I just get more sad and frustrated about why my mind chooses to close the airway in my throat when it does not do it in any other scenario than talking directly to another person. 

Edited by positiveness

It may help to engage someone to help you. An Internet forum is not the place to diagnose and recommend treatments. 

I mentioned this film because it's based on a true story and offers a view of how to overcome this (seeming) limitation.

8 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

In a similar vein, I've read that singing rather than speaking your words can help.

Yeah, most of the time. However, I can't sing all the time @Endy0816. @iNow, thanks, I will check it out; it definitely looks interesting but does not that helpful for my situation, I guess. Anyway, I'll check it out and share some thoughts :)

My larger point was that practice helps, but often we practice the wrong things when doing it ourselves. Having an expert guide us while we practice can often yield superior results.

It's not practice that makes perfect. After all, if we practice wrong then we'll continue to do it wrong no matter how long we keep practicing. Instead, it's perfect practice that makes perfect, and often that requires a coach or guide. 

Good luck, either way!

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

My larger point was that practice helps, but often we practice the wrong things when doing it ourselves. Having an expert guide us while we practice can often yield superior results.

It's not practice that makes perfect. After all, if we practice wrong then we'll continue to do it wrong no matter how long we keep practicing. Instead, it's perfect practice that makes perfect, and often that requires a coach or guide. 

Good luck, either way!

Also, he would have practice on a person who understands.

4 hours ago, iNow said:

Good luck, either way!

makes much sense, actually. The other problem is that I have visited some coaches and they all say that I have to stop letting it take over my mind(I.e., that I have to let the thoghts/fears go away) but without saying exactly how I am supposed to accomplish this...