Hoverboard question

Titanium321

I'm not entirely sure where this should go but this seems like the right place. I've been watching a bunch of hoverboard videos lately. I mean the Hendo and the Lexus ones that really hover on electromagnetism. I know these need to hover over a special surface like copper to make the magnetic wave repel and lift, what I don't understand is what happens if you attach the metal surface to the hover engine device. Like something as simple as taking a thin sheet of the metal, hooking it on a cord tied to the hover device, and then let the hover device repel against the metal or simply being in a box with one end the magnet and the other the opposing surface. 

Does the magnet need to be in motion to hover against the metal surface? Would it lift the entire box as a result? I have not seen any of these devices contain the magnet and surface together or even have this question asked or considered so perhaps I'm just missing something obvious about it. I assumed the magnet could lift the metal as it can lift a person standing on these boards. I would love to find out how plausible this actually is if anyone can help me out here.

11 hours ago, Manticore said:

Since the board is pushing the surface away, what makes you think it could  possibly lift it?

So the method of levitation here is really just two objects pushing away from each other, but the metal being on the ground doesn't move and the magnet device pushes up? That makes more sense then. I was not clear on what was happening to the metal surface with these magnet hover devices. I thought that if these machines can hold weight above the magnet device, it could hold the weight of the metal if it was hanging from the top of the device somehow. So as it moved away from the metal it was also dragging it with constantly bouncing off it, but I take it they would just be held in place and not push away from each other if connected like that?