calculating human horsepower for science fair project

Hi all,

So I'm helping my niece develop a science fair project  (7th grade). She wants to calculate how much power she can generate by running a specific distance

My question is, is there any difference in calculating the power (Work/time) via staircase vs. flat distance. I ask this, because in most of the physics

examples I've seen that calculate human horsepower, they're usually done with a stair case, and the distance is measured by height of the staircase, and the force is the runner's weight in

newtons. The staircase method is kind of annoying and would be easier for her to do with just running on a track field. Is there anything I should know about that's different between the height and

the flat distance calculations? I don't think there is, but just want to check.

~ee

Edited by Elite Engineer

8 hours ago, Elite Engineer said:

Hi all,

So I'm helping my niece develop a science fair project  (7th grade). She wants to calculate how much power she can generate by running a specific distance

My question is, is there any difference in calculating the power (Work/time) via staircase vs. flat distance. I ask this, because in most of the physics

examples I've seen that calculate human horsepower, they're usually done with a stair case, and the distance is measured by height of the staircase, and the force is the runner's weight in

newtons. The staircase method is kind of annoying and would be easier for her to do with just running on a track field. Is there anything I should know about that's different between the height and

the flat distance calculations? I don't think there is, but just want to check.

~ee

She can calculate a simple average net output of power (work/time) by measuring vertical distance gained X body weight/time taken if she uses stairs.

On the horizontal the only net output of power is during the acceleration stage. No work is accomplished after that. Though she could compare the rates of distance against drag forces, or work expended, it is less straight forward.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

9 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

She can calculate a simple average net output of power (work/time) by measuring vertical distance gained X body weight/time taken if she uses stairs.

On the horizontal the only net output of power is during the acceleration stage. No work is accomplished after that. Though she could compare the rates of distance against drag forces, or work expended, it is less straight forward.

To clarify, there is no net work done, but the runner is doing work. It's just that it's being dissipated by other forces acting in the opposite direction (it's not like you can glide or coast while running), and I don't think it's straightforward to measure that on a track.