Quantum Entanglement ?

interested

14 hours ago, interested said:

I will not argue this point, but do disagree with your speculation ref worm holes. A 4th dimension does not imply wormholes, it just implies forces or points in space can be connected. The entanglement connection we know is extremely weak, and any disturbance can break the connection. This disturbance could be a locomotive or a quantum fluctuation in space. The entanglement of virtual particles for instance, could be decohered by other virtual particles appearing in the vicinity of the first virtual particle. 

Any mention of a "connection" is speculative. 

A single photon reveals quantum entanglement of 16 million atoms

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-photon-reveals-quantum-entanglement-million.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-nwletter

Does anyone have an opinion or information on entanglement of particles separated by time???????????????????????? If time and space represent four dimensions how is time affected by entanglement??????????????????? 

5 hours ago, interested said:

A single photon reveals quantum entanglement of 16 million atoms

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-photon-reveals-quantum-entanglement-million.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-nwletter

Does anyone have an opinion or information on entanglement of particles separated by time???????????????????????? If time and space represent four dimensions how is time affected by entanglement??????????????????? 

Thanks to the power of google, there is loads of stuff on time travel and entanglement, sadly most of it is over my head https://www.wired.com/2016/01/quantum-links-in-time-and-space-may-form-the-universes-foundation/

Does anyone have anything verging on entanglement in time for dummies?  

My simplified speculation is that all points in space can be entangled via a 4th dimension including time. 

Edited by interested
last sentence

43 minutes ago, interested said:

Thanks to the power of google, there is loads of stuff on time travel and entanglement,  

Nothing on time travel in that link. Or, I suspect, in any other link that's not selling snake oil.

9 minutes ago, swansont said:

Nothing on time travel in that link. Or, I suspect, in any other link that's not selling snake oil.

I disagree there is no mention of snake oil in the link, also there is tonnes of stuff on this subject if you care to google it. 

20 minutes ago, interested said:

I disagree there is no mention of snake oil in the link,

You're disagreeing with something I never said.

also there is tonnes of stuff on this subject if you care to google it. 

And, as I said, if it has time travel in it, it's probably not a good source. (or they'll use the phrase "time travel" as a teaser, and then tell you it's not really time travel)

17 hours ago, swansont said:

And, as I said, if it has time travel in it, it's probably not a good source. (or they'll use the phrase "time travel" as a teaser, and then tell you it's not really time travel)

I suspect yo may be correct, I am going to re read the following two papers to see how they are teasing me, neither are not at noddy level, which is what I am looking for.

Extraction of time like entanglement from the quantum vacuum S. Jay Olson∗ and Timothy C. Ralph Department of Physics, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia (Dated: January 14, 2011) Recently, it has been shown that the mass less quantum vacuum state contains entanglement between time like separated regions of space time, in addition to the entanglement between the space like separated regions usually considered. Here, we show that time like entanglement can be extracted from the Minkowski vacuum and converted into ordinary entanglement between two inertial, two state detectors at the same spatial location — one coupled to the field in the past and the other coupled to the field in the future. The procedure used here demonstrates a clear time correlation as a requirement for extraction, e.g. if the past detector was active at a quarter to 12:00, then the future detector must wait to become active at precisely a quarter past 12:00 in order to achieve entanglement.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1101.2565.pdf

Quantum Entanglement in Time Marcin Nowakowski∗ Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics, Gdansk University of Technology, 80-952 Gdansk, Poland and National Quantum Information Center of Gdansk, Andersa 27, 81-824 Sopot, Poland In this paper we present a concept of quantum entanglement in time in a context of entangled consistent histories. These considerations are supported by presentation of necessary tools closely related to those acting on a space of spatial multipartite quantum states. We show that in similarity to monogamy of quantum entanglement in space, quantum entanglement in time is also endowed with this property for a particular history. Basing on these observations, we discuss further bounding of temporal correlations and derive a

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1701.08116.pdf

I am pretty sure it isnt time travel as in star trek, but it could be teleporting information into the future or past maybe?  Teleportation is not something we have looked at yet although you mentioned it much earlier on on this thread. Some light reading from wikipedia on teleportation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

Edited by interested

21 hours ago, swansont said:

"early universe prior to bang" has no meaning

Nothing you read in a pop-sci article is going to explain entanglement, other than (if you're lucky) how it behaves

The laws of thermodynamics apply even to big bangs https://astro.uni-bonn.de/~pavel/WIKIPEDIA/Lambda-CDM_model.html .

The laws of thermodynamics do not start breaking down until below about 3 kelvin the same temperature as CBR. What temperature is cold dark matter? 

29 minutes ago, interested said:

The laws of thermodynamics apply even to big bangs https://astro.uni-bonn.de/~pavel/WIKIPEDIA/Lambda-CDM_model.html .

The laws of thermodynamics applying to the big bang does not rebut the statement that prior to the big bang makes no sense.

29 minutes ago, interested said:

The laws of thermodynamics do not start breaking down until below about 3 kelvin the same temperature as CBR. What temperature is cold dark matter? 

Um, what?

On 10/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, swansont said:

The laws of thermodynamics applying to the big bang does not rebut the statement that prior to the big bang makes no sense.

Um, what?

I think the laws of grammar may have broken down.

Thinking about what may have caused a big bang, and where matter comes from, prior to any expansion or contraction of the universe does make sense.

Heat is energy it came from somewhere, how was it created in a big bang?

Dark matter I understand is at the same temperature as space circa 2.7 kelvin 

Would the quantum fluctuations theoretically initiating the big bang have consisted of equal amounts of entangled matter and antimatter ? 

1 hour ago, interested said:

I think the laws of grammar may have broken down.

Thinking about what may have caused a big bang, and where matter comes from, prior to any expansion or contraction of the universe does make sense.

That wasn't my objection.

Heat is energy it came from somewhere, how was it created in a big bang?

How much energy was created in the big bang?

Would the quantum fluctuations theoretically initiating the big bang have consisted of equal amounts of entangled matter and antimatter ? 

No, probably not. Why does it matter? If there was entanglement, the antimatter would have been in entangled states, too. So what?

You seem to have a fetish with entanglement. The opposite of antimatter is matter. Entanglement is a separate description. It's not magic, and likely isn't the answer for these unresolved issues.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:08 PM, swansont said:

That wasn't my objection.

How much energy was created in the big bang?

No, probably not. Why does it matter? If there was entanglement, the antimatter would have been in entangled states, too. So what?

You seem to have a fetish with entanglement. The opposite of antimatter is matter. Entanglement is a separate description. It's not magic, and likely isn't the answer for these unresolved issues.

I have no fetishes I am aware off, just interests. My thinking was along the lines off entanglement did not exist in a very hot big bang at the start of big bang theory, it could not it was too hot. I was trying to envisage what happened to create a big bang, and lots of heat. Where did the original matter come from, space as we know is very cold, and would allow entangled particle pairs to survive much longer. Where did the original matter come from? Could virtual particles (waves) interact in some way to form actual particles, would they need to appear in pairs, I dont know, thats why I am asking? The zero energy universe seems to allow for matter to appear out of nothing over time, but in pairs of particles I understand. etc

57 minutes ago, swansont said:

Why is it necessary that entanglement appear in the description of the big bang?

It is possible that gravity is due to entanglement using MOND theory. The thread is meant to be about entanglement. The Big bang was at such a temperature that entanglement I understand is unlikely. 

I posted this under dark matter but it is also relevant here as it deals with gravity and entanglement and dark matter. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1611.02269.pdf https://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html . Clearly it is not the standard model, and possibly not what people will want to discuss, but at the moment it has me interested, and is related to both the threads I started. 

12 minutes ago, interested said:

It is possible that gravity is due to entanglement using MOND theory.

Can you cite any work that makes this connection?

12 minutes ago, interested said:

The thread is meant to be about entanglement. The Big bang was at such a temperature that entanglement I understand is unlikely. 

Then why bring it up?

On 10/19/2017 at 1:27 PM, swansont said:

"early universe prior to bang" has no meaning

Nothing you read in a pop-sci article is going to explain entanglement, other than (if you're lucky) how it behaves

Perhaps prior to big bang does have meaning now https://phys.org/news/2010-11-scientists-glimpse-universe-big.html#nRlv

Loop Quantum Gravity also has a good stab at it along with none existing singularities etc

The only thing I can think of is that some theorists have suggested all particles could be quantum entangled (in some way) because they have the same source/origin. How the entangled does not become destroyed over time, is some immediate problem I can think of - I wonder if I can find that paper now?

AND it seems space itself may be entangled  

“I didn’t know what space was made of before,” says Swingle. “It wasn’t clear that question even had meaning.” But now, he says, it is becoming increasingly apparent that the question does make sense. “And the answer is something that we understand,” says Swingle. “It’s made of entanglement.” http://www.nature.com/news/the-quantum-source-of-space-time-1.18797#/GRAPHIC the curvature of space MAY be caused by entanglement.

The above link raises more questions than it answers.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Under general relativity Space is space time and fixed empty dimensions, distorted by gravity. 

Under Quantum theory Space is supported by quantum fluctuations appearing out of space.

The amount of observed space in x,y,z coordinates we see between galaxies is expanding, likely due to random quantum fluctuations of virtual particles or gravitons appearing in space, faster than they are absorbed by mass.

Can the substance of space be considered to be a fourth dimension connecting all x,y,z points in the universe. ? 

Is the term space/time used to describe XYZ dimensions, which only exist because of quantum fluctuations from the substance of space. The substance of space having no dimensions but connects all points in space, like a 4th dimension? 

The term Quantum fluctuations I am using to mean everything. Starting from Virtual particles to all the matter and energy in the entire universe. 

Is the term space/time used to describe XYZ dimensions

Space-time is used to describe x,y,z,t dimension (the clue is in the name!)

Can the substance of space be considered to be a fourth dimension connecting all x,y,z points in the universe. ?

The fourth dimension is time. I'm not sure how the "substance" of space (if there is such a thing) can be considered a dimension.

Imagine you want to meet up with someone. You need to specify 4 dimensions: the location (3) and the time (1). You don't need to specify the substance of where you meet.