Transgender claim

JohnDoeLS

My friend has this theory that transgender people can normalize their gender by taking hormones of their assigned gender. I have told him why it is untrue but he wouldn't believe it because he thinks psychology is soft science and he has his own theory on why. And he speculates that taking hormones for their assigned gender is already happening but just not reported. This might sound absurd but can anyone offer a clear explanation on why he is wrong? I can't provide one that is satisfying for him. 

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

You could point out that some people are born with both male and female sexual features. And some (I think) are born with none. So his simplistic view doesn't really work.

He also said this 

4690074857111552.png

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

Ask him if you hit his big toe with a hammer every hour, will his brain adapt to ignore the pain. After all, he only has to deal with a small change in his environment.

He said this, I will try to see if he can get on here. 

5172049913053184.png

2 hours ago, Strange said:

You could point out that some people are born with both male and female sexual features. And some (I think) are born with none. So his simplistic view doesn't really work.

i think they are called hermaphrodite or something, after doing some 2 minutes of research on some websites, i understand that they have matching hormones level,i also understand that sex anatomy and brain gender is different, hence since hormones plays an extremely huge part to your psychology, i quote "Hormones are silent drivers of behavior and personality; their molecular fingerprints are on everything from attraction to appetite. New parents are slammed with hormones, as is the rookie player on a sports team. And the endocrine system is so complex that the same chemical may behave radically differently from person to person." , i thought it would be effectively able to help aid a "transgender"

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

Ask him if you hit his big toe with a hammer every hour, will his brain adapt to ignore the pain. After all, he only has to deal with a small change in his environment.

pain receptor, nerves ,etc are pretty different to this topic i am trying so please elaborate on your analogy to link it to my question?

source- https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-be-born-as-both-a-male-and-female

https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/hormones

p.s. pardon my shit english

Edited by porkifyurmom

7 hours ago, JohnDoeLS said:

My friend has this theory that transgender people can normalize their gender by taking hormones of their assigned gender. I have told him why it is untrue but he wouldn't believe it because he thinks psychology is soft science and he has his own theory on why. And he speculates that taking hormones for their assigned gender is already happening but just not reported. This might sound absurd but can anyone offer a clear explanation on why he is wrong? I can't provide one that is satisfying for him. 

I personnally look at it in terms of how evolution is a result of mutation. We are all born with various mutations. offspring are not all identical. The first mamal born with something akin to a  thumb was a product of mutation born different than all others of its genealogy. Just as were the first hominids who stood up right were. There simply isn't a true normal or static way to be. There are averages but no set values one must "normalize" to. Blue eyes in humans is caused by a lack of melanin on the front of the iris. Shall we practice eugenics to "normalize" human eye color to brown ensuring melanin on the front iris? Of course not, that is ridiculous. Assumptions about what a human should or should not be is the root cause for most all forms of bigotry and prejudice in the world. We are all different and that is a normal natural biological fact.