Myths - Immortallity through though

TrevorC

Alright, today i am going to ask you probably the most stupid question possible. Here is the thing, i stumbled across a book named "Ο τρόπος για την Αειζωία". As you can see the book is greek and it's title can be translated as "The way for immortality". The author is someone that i would dare to call a cultist, his name is Αργύρης Τσακαλίας or Argyrhs Tsakalias. I only read summaries about the book because i didn't have the strength to go through so many pages of what i think is pure stupidity. From what i read the author suggests that you can become "immortal" in a variety of ways. Some of them are : Drinking a magical potion (yeah that's right...), Speaking with immortal creatures like fairies and stuff (And that is why i said "pure stupidity") OR using "science". The author believes that one can become immortal by changing his DNA through thinking that he wants to be immortal. I though that i little bit of googling would be enough to disprove his theory, and so i found this:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/changing-our-dna-through-mind-control/

http://asayamind.com/your-thoughts-have-the-power-to-change-your-dna/

http://www.naturalnews.com/042157_DNA_transformation_science_epigenetics.html#

Of course even if what the articles say is true that doesn't mean that one can become immortal. I would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe anything that the author says. I think that his book and theory are stupid to say the least. The reason i created this topic is so i can hear your opinions on the whole "changing DNA thing". I feel embarrassed just by speaking of that subject.

P.S The author is dead.

Edited by TrevorC

There is so much of this guff about, you have to develop a filter, or you will waste a significant chunk of your life debunking rubbish.

Surely there is enough in what you have written to convince anyone that it's rubbish? You need to turn off your curiosity at the very first clue, because it's too valuable to waste on these con-artists.

The time you waste on it could be spent on genuine science, which is equally amazing, and has the added bonus of being true and in line with the real world.

The Scientific American article is really about reducing stress levels and the potential damage done by stress-related hormones (I didn't bother looking at the others).

10 hours ago, TrevorC said:

P.S The author is dead.

That's ironic.

34 minutes ago, mistermack said:

There is so much of this guff about, you have to develop a filter, or you will waste a significant chunk of your life debunking rubbish.

Surely there is enough in what you have written to convince anyone that it's rubbish? You need to turn off your curiosity at the very first clue, because it's too valuable to waste on these con-artists.

The time you waste on it could be spent on genuine science, which is equally amazing, and has the added bonus of being true and in line with the real world.

Yeah, i guess you are right.

That's the topic i am the most interested in. Thank you start this discussion. 

To prolonge human life till 150 years is possible now already. Geronthology has a lot of progress with it. Just you need money.

Immortality is more a theoretical thing for now. There are many streams such as coding personal identity into computer programme, develop cyborgs more connected to human body and others.

If you can share any new facts about it, Elizabeth Parrish news or any other link, it would be great. As its not always easy to get the actual info from here