Can someone please explain the new messages system?

I note I can now write a public message to another member.

What does that look like and where does it appear please?

Does this mean there are no longer any private messages?

What about the little envelope icon.
What sort of message is this?

I think that public message is aka status update - ie on right hand side of main site and on each of our profile pages.  It is a public message to all members.

Private messages seem to work as usual.  Hit the envelope and compose new, or choose an already active conversation from list

2 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

Isn't it the same as on the last iteration of the forum? You could write on someone's profile, no? It's like writing on one's wall on facebook.

Replies in Status Update are much like a normal discussion in other parts of the forum now with the same tools whereas before it  had no tools. The PM system seems to be the same as before.

Edited by StringJunky

Ha!  I actually like the new profile page. The posting history is on display and it tells you how many times you have  'won'...  apparently I have  'won'  6 times. lol. I had no idea at all. lol.

String has won 40 times, imatt - 133, Lord Antres - Thrice and studiot 15 times.

Doesn't appear to be a friends list...  maybe it was wiped as there is now a section for followers....  of which I have none, lol.

8 hours ago, DrP said:

Ha!  I actually like the new profile page. The posting history is on display and it tells you how many times you have  'won'...  apparently I have  'won'  6 times. lol. I had no idea at all. lol.

String has won 40 times, imatt - 133, Lord Antres - Thrice and studiot 15 times.

Doesn't appear to be a friends list...  maybe it was wiped as there is now a section for followers....  of which I have none, lol.

You have two followers - both of rare distinction; the CEO and a lazy lying mud-slinger

3 minutes ago, Mordred said:

I Volunteer to be the mudslinger :lol:

That position is already taken - have you never noticed my user title?  We had a slew of quite vituperative members one of whom called me that and it kinda stuck - for a while some of the other mods had similarly chosen user titles; not sure if any of the others still do

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, imatfaal said:

You have two followers - both of rare distinction; the CEO and a lazy lying mud-slinger

Thanks to you both...  I'm honoured - you are two of my fav's. I'll follow you back.