Potassium Nitrate + alcohal = ???

Digitals

Acidified potassium nitrate reacts with zinc metal?

I guess it will' date='but is the reaction very vigorous?[/quote']

it won`t be the KNO3 taking part in the reaction though, it`ll be the acid, and the rate of reaction will depend on the type of acid and strength.

you`ll get the same reaction without the KNO3 :)

It's analagous to the reaction with water, but instead of H-OH reacting, you get H-OR reacting. For example, in the equation 2Na + 2H2O -> H2 + 2NaOH you get sodium metal reacting with water to form hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide. Here's the same reaction but with ethanol in place of the water.

2Na + 2EtOH -> H2 + 2NaOEt. (Et = CH3CH2-)

So instead of sodium hydroxide, you get sodium ethoxide.

just a note; alkoxides are easily hydrolyzed, so unless the alcohol is dry, you won't see much alkoxide

True, and with a mixture of water and alcohol, I'm not 100% sure but I think the reaction with the water would be more favored.

the water is favoured :)

I rem making some years ago, sodium metal in 99.9% ethanol, I was only experimenting to see what it made, and THEN looked it up after I`de gotten a clear syrupy liquid. I wanted to know how to dispose of it when I found I had little to no use for it, it said NOT to mix it with water :)

so I`de glean from that the water would be favored.

I eyedroppered it down the toilet in the end, very unimpressive it was.

yo anyone here know where to get a hold of ptassium nitrate.... i cant find it anywhere but online. by the way the potassium nitrate and sugar/ sucrose thing thats a great recipe for smokebombs u just need to melt the sugar and add the nitrate

Did any of you try:

Potassium Nitrate + Dry Glycerol + Potassium Permanganate?

OR:

Sodium Chlorate + Lamp Black + Sodium Permanganate?

If you did not try it, then do not try it.

:D