Container Laboratory

Hi all, 

I'm a Canadian researcher concentrating on the area of proteomics. Mobile labs are known to be cost effective, durable and energy efficient as well.  It's been a long time, I'm planning to establish a  portable research lab with state-of-the-art equipment, the best of the best, including digital surveillance and communication, an inbuilt mechanical system for basic comfort cooling or for precise temperature and humidity control, emergency power, lighting, water, ancillary support systems and a filtration system to meet the specified cleanliness levels.

Shipping containers are a cost-effective and timely solution that offers high quality and user-friendly labs. I think recycled shipping container is a good idea as portability is one among my major concerns. From a newspaper advertisement, I came to know about a Toronto based container provider. I'm planning to purchase containers from them and to customize it to suit my needs. I wish to know will it affect my work in any way? Have you ever been in a container lab? What about the work environment and all?

I've seen shipping containers used for many things from offices to nightclubs (several containers in that case).

If all of your equipment will fit into it with adequate working space then I would say it is a good idea.

The only ways I can see that it could theoretically affect your work is that you may need an external wifi antenna (assuming you use wifi) and possible effects on anything you may have that relies on magnets due to the all steel construction.

(You may find it advisable to fit it with levelling jacks in case of uneven or sloping sites.)

Edited by Manticore

I would also mention that quite a lot of people - including nefarious ones - have access to trailer hoists which will pick up and transport a container very easily.  What might seem like a semi-permanent structure to you might well appear as a ready packaged gift box to thieves. 

One thing to consider if you got a portable lab, some heavy equipment does not like to move around. Since you mentioned proteomics, you will need to take great care to shut down and properly secure large equipment such as mass specs before transport and it may take some time to re-certify them before use. It is less of an issue if the lab is only moved very rarely.

That being said, there are manufacturers of mobile lab systems and it may be worthwhile to compare the cost to insulate and revamp a container vs specialized solutions.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:45 AM, Kristin Craig said:

Hi all, 

I'm a Canadian researcher concentrating on the area of proteomics. Mobile labs are known to be cost effective, durable and energy efficient as well.  It's been a long time, I'm planning to establish a  portable research lab with state-of-the-art equipment, the best of the best, including digital surveillance and communication, an inbuilt mechanical system for basic comfort cooling or for precise temperature and humidity control, emergency power, lighting, water, ancillary support systems and a filtration system to meet the specified cleanliness levels.

Shipping containers are a cost-effective and timely solution that offers high quality and user-friendly labs. I think recycled shipping container is a good idea as portability is one among my major concerns. From a newspaper advertisement, I came to know about a Toronto based container provider. I'm planning to purchase containers from them and to customize it to suit my needs. I wish to know will it affect my work in any way? Have you ever been in a container lab? What about the work environment and all?

On 7/27/2017 at 3:03 PM, Manticore said:

I've seen shipping containers used for many things from offices to nightclubs (several containers in that case).

If all of your equipment will fit into it with adequate working space then I would say it is a good idea.

The only ways I can see that it could theoretically affect your work is that you may need an external wifi antenna (assuming you use wifi) and possible effects on anything you may have that relies on magnets due to the all steel construction.

(You may find it advisable to fit it with levelling jacks in case of uneven or sloping sites.)

Manticore, Thank you for you reply. 

Yeah, I uses wifi. I will consider the effects of magnets.

I was planning to construct the establishment in a slopy area. So I think, using a levelling jack will be enough as you advised. 

On 7/27/2017 at 4:02 PM, imatfaal said:

I would also mention that quite a lot of people - including nefarious ones - have access to trailer hoists which will pick up and transport a container very easily.  What might seem like a semi-permanent structure to you might well appear as a ready packaged gift box to thieves. 

Hi Imatfaal,

Thank you for your reply.

Oh....So chances for a robbery is also to be considered... right?

All my equipments are really costly and imported ones.

Security is a primary concern.

What will i do then?

I'm really confused.

Shall i drop my idea of portable lab?

Edited by Kristin Craig

On 28/07/2017 at 0:21 AM, CharonY said:

One thing to consider if you got a portable lab, some heavy equipment does not like to move around. Since you mentioned proteomics, you will need to take great care to shut down and properly secure large equipment such as mass specs before transport and it may take some time to re-certify them before use. It is less of an issue if the lab is only moved very rarely.

That being said, there are manufacturers of mobile lab systems and it may be worthwhile to compare the cost to insulate and revamp a container vs specialized solutions.

Hi Charon,

Thank you for your reply.

As I've said already,  I came to know about a Toronto based container provider from the newspaper.

I was planning to purchase containers from them and then to do custom modifications as needed.

You mentioned about manufacturers specialized in mobile lab systems .

As you told that its a cost effective remedy, i would like to know more about those type of service providers. 

Edited by hypervalent_iodine
Advertising link removed