Possibility to survive a building jump?

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

The presence of the table doesn't add anything to the 'story' since you jump from the table before impact. He might as well have asked: "What's the chance of surviving a (10 story)building jump?" I don't think it was his intent to add things like a hedge. If you can add things then I would add a deep swimming pool.

Well, that's the answer and that's what we've been saying. You can't say the question makes no sense and then answer the question to give the reason why it makes no sense. I think I can actually pinpoint his train of throught here because this is exactly what I was thinking when I was a kid. I was wondering if a balcony was falling down and you were on it, you just jump up at the last second and then fall down. The idea is that I thought it would negate the downward velocity if you jumped up and it would be as if you hadn't been falling down at all. Obviously, this is wrong but that's what I was thinking as a kid.

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Add what you want, it doesn't change the fundamentals; physics is physics whatever you add... 

huh?

1 hour ago, Lord Antares said:

Well, that's the answer and that's what we've been saying. You can't say the question makes no sense and then answer the question to give the reason why it makes no sense. I think I can actually pinpoint his train of throught here because this is exactly what I was thinking when I was a kid. I was wondering if a balcony was falling down and you were on it, you just jump up at the last second and then fall down. The idea is that I thought it would negate the downward velocity if you jumped up and it would be as if you hadn't been falling down at all. Obviously, this is wrong but that's what I was thinking as a kid.

I see. I think I didn't think about those things as a kid.

• 2 weeks later...