LabRat1

Possibility to survive a building jump?

6 posts in this topic

So if a person were to jump of a building of some considerable height (say 10 stories) but on a table, and he jumps of the table before impact, would he survive or not. I feel he wouldn't, but i wanted your opinion.

PS: Had no clue where to post this and hence here!

Problem is...  when he jumps off the table it will just push the table down. The table legs, not being on the ground, wont push back on him to give him the vertical jump you are proposing. So the table will just hit the ground faster. It might slow him fractionally, but not enough I reckon.  You could do the actual maths of it pretty easily to show this.

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, LabRat1 said:

So if a person were to jump of a building of some considerable height (say 10 stories) but on a table, and he jumps of the table before impact, would he survive or not. I feel he wouldn't, but i wanted your opinion.

PS: Had no clue where to post this and hence here!

It's the old cartoon scenario, bugs bunny casually steps of the falling lift and eats a carrot.

The lift/table in freefall is travelling at 120 MPH(let's say) not only can you not jump at anything like that speed, you don't have anything solid to jump off, so you will hit the ground at that speed.

Edited by dimreepr

Are you following me about today Dim?

You are right...  even if the table could push back you still couldn't jump hard enough. That's why I suggested doing the maths of it....  if he can't visualise it then maybe calculating it would help him.

1 minute ago, DrP said:

Are you following me about today Dim?

:) :P yes but don't tell, stalking's illegal...

If someone were to jump off a building with a table, they'd have a fractionally better chance of surviving if they jumped with the table above their head holding onto the legs trying to use it as a very crude parachute. Mythbusters examined the idea with sheets of plywood rather than a table and IIRC they determined there would be very little reduction of speed.