Why does our reality behave like a 3D game?

at0mic

Let’s start with a primer to some of the techniques used to maintain an optimal frame rate when displaying computer game graphics. Games consoles such as the PS4, Xbox One and PC aren’t powerful enough to render a whole city in 3D. Instead, they only render what’s currently onscreen. Furthermore, only the camera facing sides of objects are rendered. The sides you can’t see only exist as calculations without any substance, ready to be rendered as your character moves through the game. This process is called hidden surface removal. Sometimes, objects are removed from view completely, like if a car drives past a trash can, there’s no need for the trash can to be rendered while it’s obscured from view. This process is called occlusion culling.

Now back to the real world. The Double-slit experiment first performed in 1927 by Davisson and Germer showed that light and matter are waves, yet become matter when observed. Science can’t answer why quantum physics behaves this way. The only explanation that comes to my mind is that it’s to save processing power.

To quote Galileo Galilei “Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe”.

A mathematics driven universe is perfect for a computer.

6 hours ago, LabRat1 said:

I didn't really understand your question. And shouldn't it be the other way round, that virtual games imitate (or should I say recreate) reality?   

I was referring to the similarities of how it works in the background at the quantum level. To me, it suggests that the universe may be running on a computer. Especially being such a mathematical universe.

10 hours ago, LabRat1 said:

I didn't really understand your question. And shouldn't it be the other way round, that virtual games imitate (or should I say recreate) reality?   

I think OP is advocating computer simulated universe or holographic universe base on the very strange nature of quantum mechanics being similar to computer game or computer.

Edited by nec209

19 hours ago, at0mic said:

I was referring to the similarities of how it works in the background at the quantum level. To me, it suggests that the universe may be running on a computer. Especially being such a mathematical universe.

Well the universe to an extent does work on mathematics, in harmony with physics and chemistry.

It has been said already....  but reality behaves like a 3D game because 3D games are modelled on reality.  

I first thought we might be in a program when I was a child and learnt a little BASIC programming. When I read - "let there be light"  I imagined it as a definition in a programming line (as LET was a command in BASIC to define things).  Pure imagination though.

20 hours ago, DrP said:

It has been said already....  but reality behaves like a 3D game because 3D games are modelled on reality.  

I first thought we might be in a program when I was a child and learnt a little BASIC programming. When I read - "let there be light"  I imagined it as a definition in a programming line (as LET was a command in BASIC to define things).  Pure imagination though.

And I guess that means all religion resolves down to a question/debate about whether we have processed the

20 PRINT "Hello World" 

program line yet?

• 3 weeks later...

In a way, games are like universes: Rules affect outcomes, outcomes determine what is and isn't, there is matter, there is energy. So it shouldn't be surprising that our 'reality' as you put it, resembles a game. If you support the theory of parallel universes, there is a universe that is exactly the same as any given game you can think of. Therefore Skyrim exists as a parallel universe, as does Final Fantasy 7, and even Mario. Even if the theory of parallel universes is indeed true, the likelihood of existing in one of these parallel universes is equal to one in infinity, however one in infinity is still one out of a number. 

3D games are not like reality-- but close.  Computer programming does not produce any effect that is truly random-- while reality does.  Computers can be programmed to simulate random behavior sufficient to fool the users, but code still follows rules.