Welcome to the upgraded SFN

Are you able to download an alternative browser like Chrome and test using that? Sounds like a bug in the code of the existing browser that needs updating. When my apps crash, it's generally due to a design flaw within that specific app.

Edited by iNow

Just now, iNow said:

Are you able to download an alternative browser like Chrome and test using that? Sounds like a bug in the code of the existing browser that needs updating. When my apps crash, it's generally due to a design flaw within that specific app.

Done that, iNow. And, believe it or not, i managed to make things worse for myself! Last night, i downloaded something called " SurfCube 3D Browser " (for free ) and it actually worked for a while until that crashed too - before i had time to sign-out from the SF website! Now my name is permanently on the Who's Online list! I've e-mailed the Administrators about this so we'll see what happens. What is very strange is that the browsers only crash when i try to get onto the SF website Home page - every other website loads as normal. Weird.

As i said to StringJunky, it looks like a new phone is needed - maybe i'll try Android this time. I shouldn't really be complaining  about something so trivial though, seeing what's happening to people in your part of the world. The weather here in England is pretty bad but it's nothing compared with Irma.

Yes, a crashing browser on a smartphone is very much a "first-world" problem, but be fair to your authentic reaction. It's still an annoying and frustrating inconvenience that many of us can relate to. Good luck, ether way!

Edited by iNow

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

Yes, a browser on a smartphone is very much a "first-world" problem, but be fair to your authentic reaction. It's still an annoying and frustrating inconvenience. Good luck, either way!

Thanks. Seems like the " Who's Online " problem might just be fixed now. I'll sign off right away and see if my name does disappear from the online list.

Edit: Yes, my name does vanish now when i sign-off.  Just that phone now! I'll post here again if i ever solve the mystery of the crashing browser.

Edited by Tub
update

On 7/22/2017 at 4:45 PM, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Hi everyone,

We've upgraded SFN to version 4.1 of our forum software, and things are looking good so far. Take a look around and enjoy the new features, and post here if you experience any weird problems. Some things to note:

• You may enjoy the new Activity stream, showing everything that's happening on SFN in real time (the page automatically updates).
  • There are some minor updates to the LaTeX rendering we now use, which are detailed in an updated thread in the maths forums.
  • The search system and "Unread Content" button may not work correctly for a day or so -- the system has to reindex all the posts and topics, so search results won't be correct.
  • There's no longer a difference between "Display Name" and "Login Name", so if you logged in with a different name than was shown on the forums, you need to switch to logging in with the display name.
  • The new site should look and feel much better on phones and tablets.

There are more new features than I can describe here, but hopefully being on the latest supported version will reduce spam, improve security, and eliminate old bugs. Possibly while creating new ones. We'll see.

Many thanks to Klaynos for the upgraded SFN logo, tweaked for the new look.

I am really beginning to like this new format! Great job "We've"! 

Edited by Moontanman

On 9/8/2017 at 6:22 PM, StringJunky said:

You should be on W10 now. Don't you just hate Linux fanboys and iPhones are for old people and computer neophytes. :)

Re the ScienceForums Home page crashing the browser on my Windows8 phone.

Thanks again, StringJunky. As a last resort, i followed your advice, updated to W10 and everything is back to normal. :D

On 9/8/2017 at 1:34 PM, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

By "the whole browser shuts down", do you mean it just crashes and disappears? That sounds like a bug with Windows Phone; can you check you have the latest software updates installed on your phone?

19 hours ago, iNow said:

Yes, a crashing browser on a smartphone is very much a "first-world" problem, but be fair to your authentic reaction. It's still an annoying and frustrating inconvenience that many of us can relate to. Good luck, either way!

Even though all the software on my phone was up-to-date, StringJunky, who also has a Windows phone, advised me to upgrade the whole OS to Windows10 and that solved the problem right away. Still don't know what caused it though.

Thanks to you both for your readiness to help.:)

2 hours ago, Tub said:

Thanks again, StringJunky. As a last resort, i followed your advice, updated to W10 and everything is back to normal. :D

Even though all the software on my phone was up-to-date, StringJunky, who also has a Windows phone, advised me to upgrade the whole OS to Windows10 and that solved the problem right away. Still don't know what caused it though.

Thanks to you both for your readiness to help.:)

There could have been a glitch in your W8 or, possibly,  there are newer protocols in the forum software or routines that a  W8 phone has problems with. The software here seems quite advanced.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

There could have been a glitch in your W8 or, possibly,  there are newer protocols in the forum software or routines that a  W8 phone has problems with. The software here seems quite advanced.

I think it was most likely caused by what i've underlined in your quote above - apart from the problem with the SFN Homepage, the rest of the phone was perfectly fine and, after all, the problem did start the first time i used the phone, then still with W8, after the latest SFN update.It would be interesting to know if anybody else is still using W8 on their phone and having the same problem that i did. Thanks again SJ.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:15 AM, Tub said:

Now my name is permanently on the Who's Online list! I've e-mailed the Administrators about this so we'll see what happens.

FYI, the Contact Us page sends email to me. (I get a lot of interesting emails through that form...) The Who's Online list likely works on a delay: you only disappear from the list fifteen or twenty minutes after you last access the site. You'd think the software would remove you the instant you log out, but I suspect they didn't bother to do that, and it waits for the session to expire on its own a bit later.

Glad to hear you got the crash fixed, though!

Think the upgrade was a good improvement now that I have got used to the change.

But I don't understand why the auto update facility  always switches itself off after an hour or so.

It says "refresh page to resume auto updates". Is it supposed to work that way or could I have too many windows open perhaps?

Hello, I also noticed that the Unread Content tab always gets stuck after the first selection. If I select search for Content I posted and the switch to All Content or Content I started, nothing happens and I have to refresh the whole page and select the same steps.
Not a big problem but felt I should mention it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Eise said:

The Forum is terribly slow. 

And sometimes it doesn't even answer correctly.

But good to know that the forum is Linux based. ;-)

502 Bad Gateway

nginx/1.10.3 (Ubuntu)

I can confirm that 1 hour ago the forum was horribly slow...it took 6 to 7 minutes just to process a private message after clicking "send"

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been another recent change? It seems that when I give someone rep  (up or down) - it doesn't register it straight away...  does it go into a queue to be approved by the mods or something?

3 minutes ago, DrP said:

Has there been another recent change? It seems that when I give someone rep  (up or down) - it doesn't register it straight away...  does it go into a queue to be approved by the mods or something?

Worked straightaway for me. Maybe the forum software has decided you are not to be trusted! This could be a browser issue as I think the (visible) flag is set by Javascript on your end. Have you tried shutting down the browser and restarting it? (Yes, I did work in customer support. And, yes, "turn it off and on again" was a standard suggestion!)

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

No, I can't see it either. Odd.

Same - and when I logged back on the point wasn't held in a queue it was as if I hadn't given it all. I clicked again and will wait to see what happens. Maybe it will register later. Very strange - I'll wait to see what a Mod says. Thanks for the help.

I can't think that I have been banned from giving rep, lol. I am a bit free and easy with it to people I like, people that are helpful to others, cleaver or just make me laugh.  The problem here I suppose is that there might be those far more deserving of it than those I usually dish it out for, but if there posts are over my head then how can I judge that? I would give Mordred more rep, but he talks about things that are definitely not in my field and I don't understand half of what he goes on about. I have given him rep for helping before but was unsure of the content due to the maths being over my head.  lol. I try to be fair and often give rep to people who have shot me down or have argued and disagreed with me - I give it for content not for friendship - I feel that would be unfair.  

It still isn't working anyway - I'll await the Mods.

15 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

We changed the limit to 10/day, so perhaps you reached that? Looking at it, it seems that it's limited the reactions per day total, which includes both positive and negative rep. You have made exactly 10 reactions in the last 24 hours, so my money is on that being the problem.

Thanks for your help.  +1 for..  oh, hold on I can't. ;-)

Well - what can I say  -  sorry for spamming out too many rep points. lol.

I must admit - I preferred the 3 /day limit to negs and unlimited positives. I like spreading the love. :o)   -   I shall be more discerning with them in future.

Edited by DrP