How can I read a document on one screen and open a hyperlink onto another?

DrKrettin

I need to read a long technical document with many hyperlinks in it. If I click on a hyperlink, that text becomes visible in a different window. But what I need to do is to have these hyperlinks open on a different networked computer screen. The aim is to have several screens where the original document and several hyperlinked documents are all visible simultaneously.

This seems like an obvious requirement, but we can't find any method of doing it. Any ideas anybody?

Is there a method of doing this on tablets run on android with a pdf reader? (I assume Linux is not available on a tablet)

If you have multiple tablets (do you?) then surely all you need todo is start with the PDF open on each of them, then open different links on each... or am I missing something?

If you have multiple tablets (do you?) then surely all you need todo is start with the PDF open on each of them, then open different links on each... or am I missing something?

That would have to be the method if no easier one is available, but with an original very long document with hundreds of hyperlinks (of which half a dozen might be needed), it would be difficult to manage. The mystery is that this facility we are looking for must be generally useful but seems impossible to implement.

So you want a sort of "open this link on device X" type functionality? I'm sure it is technically possible, using some sort of protocol to transfer the link to an app waiting on the other device but would, presumably, require some coding.

I had a play in In W10 which might help with whatever you are using. I extended my two monitors, using the Extend option. This allows my cursor to move between screens. I used a Google search as my test. In monitor 1, I have a google listing (which would be your main doc) and then right-clicked on a link on the Google page, selecting Open in a New Window. I then dragged that new window to the other monitor. Could you extend multiple monitors together or even size the windows so you can get several on one screen and enlarge one as required?

I'm no computer expert, but couldn't you create a document or file to be shared among the various networks or computers that contains all the links you wish to open among those systems? Perhaps another way would be to sent each link like you would email to the various computers on your network. Not being an expert, it's difficult for me to see any other way other than physically opening the various links on the separate systems in your network.

Yes, that does seem to be the obvious method, which for various reasons I don't understand, he finds unacceptable. I think it is a matter of principle that he thinks it is a general requirement but which does not seem to be supported, and he cannot understand why.

There's one other method I recall from when I allowed a technician remote access to my computer. That techinician had realtime access to everything on my computer and what I was seeing. Perhaps this sort of remote access could be shared among the network computers though I cannot advise how that might be implemented.