The future of space travel, a rythmic ride

paul.g.griffiths

Here it goes, my invention, the Pulse Impact Engine.

Put simply thrusting an engine or piston to cause impact to push the vehicle forward.

May impact many times with or without multiple engines but in a pulse fashion to reduce humans suffering from blood being thrusted to the back of the body.

You may not believe it's possible but do you know how birds fly? They do so you never know...

Yes I have evidance of my invention.

Faster than light? Possibly with nuclear...

Edited by paul.g.griffiths

This will not provide thrust. Momentum is conserved. When the piston is drawn back, you get the opposite effect.

Birds still fly...

But... impact, vehicle goes forward catches up with piston, etc...

Minorly relevant, how do birds fly? yes they flap there wings with... technique.

Lets be honest, you can't fly long on liquid oxygen. Nuclear is something else.

This next question is totaly irrelevant but I had to solve it to produce this: (Like MY music?)

parallax4.jpg

How can you calculate to know when going through a portal? From one time to the next, how to know you weren't at the side?

Birds still fly...

But... impact, vehicle goes forward catches up with piston, etc...

Minorly relevant, how do birds fly? yes they flap there wings with... technique.

Piston retracts, reversing the effect. No motion of the center of mass.

Birds do not fly in a vacuum, they exert a force on something external to them. That's why they can move, and fly. This overall concept is basic physics. Care to learn some?

Piston retracts, reversing the effect. No motion of the center of mass.

Birds do not fly in a vacuum, they exert a force on something external to them. That's why they can move, and fly. This overall concept is basic physics. Care to learn some?

Vacuum would produce exploding birds...

I don't think you can answer it. :P vs :-(

Moderation may be rubbing out future science...

Vacuum would produce exploding birds...

Irrelevant to the point being made.

I don't think you can answer it. :P vs :-(

Let's put it another way. Imagine you have a bird and fit it with a harness, this harness in turn is attached to an air tight bubble surrounding the bird. Neither the harness, attachments nor surrounding bubble impede the bird's ability to use its wings. The weight of the whole arrangement is well below that which the bird could carry while in free flight.

No matter how hard the bird tried, it would not be able to fly surrounded by this bubble.

Birds fly because on the down stroke of the wing they maximize it surface in order to push down on the maximum amount of air, on the up beat they reduce the surface area to minimize the amount of air being pushed upwards. Thus they produce a net downward movement of air mass relative to their bodies.

With the bubble arrangement, the air being pushed downwards will hit the bottom of the bubble and this force will be transferred to the bird canceling out the upward force it initially got by pushing down on the air.

Unlike a bird in flight which relies on a difference in the mass of air pushed upwards vs. that pushed downwards, you piston has an equal mass going either way. It doesn't matter how fast it moves in one direction vs. the other, the combined action of moving from one end to the other and back again will result in no net movement of the system. This is built into the basic rules by which our universe operates, and there is no way around it. These are not the kind of rules you can find loopholes in or cheat on.

Moderation may be rubbing out future science...

Edited by Janus

Paul - A lot more real physics - and far beyond the basic stuff that you aren't yet on top of - will be needed to advance space propulsion. There are some proposed methods that don't involve launching reaction mass out the rear but those involve outside forces like sunlight or solar wind. Unless that piston gets shot out the back, never to be used again, the stopping and moving it back to it's original position will use as much energy as it took to push it back in the first case - and a bit more, given there will be efficiency losses.