If we can drink a drink why can't we food a food?

HiMyNameIs

Word play. Same reason you drive on a parkway and park in the driveway.

We can eat some eats. Why can't we soda some soda?

Regards, TAR

What is the reason you were thinking?

Comedian Gallagher did it best.

http://www.eszlinger.com/jokes/gallagherjokes.html

Here is one I made up .

If you buy pizza at a pizzeria where do you buy diaries?

why do we teach our children to count and spell in the first grade...and start them out with a number sounded with a w sound and spelled without one, followed by a number that is spelled with a w and has no w sound?

why do we teach our children to count and spell in the first grade...and start them out with a number sounded with a w sound and spelled without one, followed by a number that is spelled with a w and has no w sound?

Good point. We should start teaching them to count from 3 and only go on to the more advanced 1 and 2 later. Maybe at university.

1 2 and 3 seem pretty good, but if someone would have submitted the spelling of 1 to me as part of a proposed system of spelling I would have put two bugs in for "one" the pronunciation of a w when there wasn't one, and the silent e are both unrequired complexities and not user friendly.

Strange,

How come you get so much enjoyment making fun of me?

I think I will put you down as a bug in the thread.

Regards, TAR

Though I don't have the fix. :unsure:

Edited by tar

1 2 and 3 seem pretty good, but if someone would have submitted the spelling of 1 to me as part of a proposed system of spelling I would have put two bugs in for "one" the pronunciation of a w when there wasn't one, and the silent e are both unrequired complexities and not user friendly.

The trouble with English spelling is that no one proposed or planned it. It just happened. And, largely, it reflects the etymology and older pronunciations.

How come you get so much enjoyment making fun of me?

Sorry. It was not intended that way. I apologise if it came across like that. I just thought it was quite an amusing concept.

Edited by Strange

Good point. We should start teaching them to count from 3 and only go on to the more advanced 1 and 2 later. Maybe at university.

The alternative "solution" would be to incorporate an additional letter into the English language to represent the "w" sound in "one" There is one in my native language: "ł"

I bet this "łood" make things so much easier.

BTW...Polish is considered to be "łone" of the most complex and difficult languages along "łith" Fisnish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2017 at 11:40 PM, koti said:

The alternative "solution" would be to incorporate an additional letter into the English language to represent the "w" sound in "one"

Wouldn't that be "w"? :)

English spelling usually preserves the history of words. "One" used to rhyme with "alone".

1 minute ago, Strange said:

English spelling usually preserves the history of words. "One" used to rhyme with "alone".

Ok - didnt know that.  But just to check was it pronounced "wown" or "own"

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

You got me there Strange, Im so used to having a dedicated letter for "w" in my language that Im missed the obvious :) As for "alone", I can safely say that it is the most horrifying expression I can think of.

23 hours ago, koti said:

You got me there Strange, Im so used to having a dedicated letter for "w" in my language that Im missed the obvious :) As for "alone", I can safely say that it is the most horrifying expression I can think of.

A good way to avoid being alone is to be altwo.