Biochemical Separations Homework

Trevman

I'm looking for some help on a problem that I am doing in my Biochemical Separations class. The question is as follows:

An Alfa Laval centrifuge (model BTPX 205) is being used for the harvesting of baker’s yeast suspensions. The cells were used to express a human protein which is present in the cytoplasm in the form of inclusion bodies 0.3 to 0.7 um in diameter with a density of 1.3 g/ml. The cells were first collected by centrifugation, resuspended in saline solution and disrupted in a high pressure homogenizer. By running the centrifuge at the proper speed the inclusion bodies may be separated from the cell debris.

(a) What effective area (Σ) is necessary for baker’s yeast recovery if the disk-stack centrifuge throughput is 200 L/hr?

(b) At what throughput would you run the centrifuge if you want to separate inclusion bodies from cell debris? Clearly state all your assumptions.

Reference: Mosqueira et al., Biotech. & Bioeng. XXIII, 335-343 (1981). https://www.scribd.com/document/353022328/Mosqueira-Et-Al-1981 (I don't know how to link this in here. Sorry.)

I'm pretty sure that the reference that he gave me has something to do with how to solve the problem, but I am not sure what information to use from the given article.

Here is what I have so far:
bGgI3Vo.jpg

I'm relatively certain I found the effective area answer for part a of the question as a range from 13,700 m^2 to 74,600 m^2, but I still don't know how to start on part b.

Edited by Trevman