Is there any studies that says homosexuality is natural?

JamieD

Recently, in a group of friends where there was a couple of gay guys, I was amazed to see one of them make a discrete pass at another friend, who is presumably heterosexual because he was there with his wife (and was also very suprised and unresponsive). After the event, I asked the gay friend what was going on, and his reply astonished me: his view is that homosexuality is totally normal, and that heterosexuality was a kind of deviant. Basically, every male is fundamentally homosexual (according to him), so that he considered any male as a potential partner even when they were displaying overtly heterosexual behaviour. (He also suggested that gays were more promiscuous, and that it was quite normal for him to have a fling and his partner did not mind at all, but that is a different issue). He also claimed that this was the view of a lot of his gay friends.

As a heterosexual male totally unaware of any homosexual urges, this was totally new to me and rather difficult to digest. But I mention it here because it illustrates the point that normality is something very subjective.

i think gay blokes are generally more promiscuous than the average hetero. The sense of deviance is obviously from his frame because that's what he is. I think his assumption that most men are naturally gay is wrong. I've opened my mind to it in the past and does nothing for me. I can think a particular man is aesthetically pleasing but that's about it.

Recently, in a group of friends where there was a couple of gay guys, I was amazed to see one of them make a discrete pass at another friend, who is presumably heterosexual because he was there with his wife (and was also very suprised and unresponsive). After the event, I asked the gay friend what was going on, and his reply astonished me: his view is that homosexuality is totally normal, and that heterosexuality was a kind of deviant. Basically, every male is fundamentally homosexual (according to him), so that he considered any male as a potential partner even when they were displaying overtly heterosexual behaviour. (He also suggested that gays were more promiscuous, and that it was quite normal for him to have a fling and his partner did not mind at all, but that is a different issue). He also claimed that this was the view of a lot of his gay friends.

As a heterosexual male totally unaware of any homosexual urges, this was totally new to me and rather difficult to digest. But I mention it here because it illustrates the point that normality is something very subjective.

Sounds like youre the observer type like myself. During my DJ'ing days in late 1990's and early 2000's Ive played gigs in a few gay clubs in Warsaw and have to say that these were probably the best gigs for me, not a single minute that I was bored and always felt safe and comfortable...with some minor exceptions where lots of drugs and alcohol played a role but nothing compared to "regular" gigs where bad things happened a lot more often. The story you told I've seen it many times and a lot more pronounced, it was always a feast for my curiosity of peoples behaviours. I think the human sexuality is extremely complex and diverse in its subtleties and in many cases it is so far fetched from my own boring, heterosexual nature that it is difficult for me to relate to. However...what always "amazed" me is the xenophobia and hostility towards gay people. I really feel sory for these guys and girls having to put up with so much horrible things in everyday life. At least in the old days that was the case...now there seems to be a social shift towards some weird, distorted forms of "tolerance" which take ridiculous shape in many cases. It seems that there is little chance we as a species to be able to find some middle ground in anything.

i think gay blokes are generally more promiscuous than the average hetero.

What makes you think that?

Why are men more promiscuous than women, beside their sexual orientation?

I would suggest that numbers play a large part in your observations, there are many more hetero's than gay's, consequently they would have to cast their line far more often and into far less promising waters in order to extract the fish.

Edited by dimreepr

I would suggest that numbers play a large part in your observations, there are many more hetero's than gay's, consequently they would have to cast their line far more often and into far less promising waters in order to extract the fish.

I read into Strings "blokes" in his post as both sexes. There is some merit to gay males being more promiscuous than gay women, though...just like there is merit to hetero males being more promiscuous than hetero women. Males are more pushy, straight forward, etc despite their sexual orientation. As far as homosexual males being promiscuous you can go to a local gay club on a saturday night and see for youreself :) Edited by koti

Quite possibly, but they are still in promiscuous mode more often in order to catch the fish.

Quite possibly, but they are still in promiscuous mode more often in order to catch the fish.

Surely that depends on, how often they get a bite?

But as Koti points out, the sexual drive is, often, more prevalent in males, although my experience would suggest otherwise.

You guys still a haven't provided actual scientific reasons as to why it is natural. It's a deformity. Yuck.

No research articles nothing. You guys keep on going on about majority of scientists can't find anything wrong wit homosexuality and the most recent studies say it is part biological..... but no citation, no peer reviewed agreement. You guys are talking out of your behind.

Edited by JamieD

All i can say is: every permutation of behaviour seems to exist somewhere in nature, therefore, they must be natural. The real question is: is homosexuality detrimental to social cohesion and general harmony? The OP's question is undefined as to what 'natural' means to him and the subsequent social/personal consequences of a behaviour being unnatural.

Aids, full stop. It will harm society for this reason and making people more open to be gay.

Aids, full stop. It will harm society for this reason and making people more open to be gay.

I think that homophobic, hostile stances like the one you are presenting are far more detrimental to society than Aids or any other, modern disease including cancer.

You guys still a haven't provided actual scientific reasons as to why it is natural. It's a deformity. Yuck.

No research articles nothing. You guys keep on going on about majority of scientists can't find anything wrong wit homosexuality and the most recent studies say it is part biological..... but no citation, no peer reviewed agreement. You guys are talking out of your behind.

!

Moderator Note

Asking a question and then complaining that there are no answers to other, unasked questions smacks of having an agenda, as does the rest of your post.

Your proposal is ill-formed. "is it natural" or "why it is natural" are not something science would investigate. What would it mean to be unnatural? Constructed in a laboratory, or a manufacturing plant? Homosexual behavior has been observed in populations, and in species other than humans. You were pointed to the Calhoun study. Other observations can be found with a few seconds of Googling. Wikipedia has a bunch of citations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

It exists in nature. Deal with it.

Do not bring the topic up again.