The Violence of the Early Universe:

beecee

I found the following article and paper...............

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-galaxies-violent.html

An international team of researchers has shown that the hot diffuse gas that fills the space between the galaxies has the same concentration of iron in all galaxy clusters that were studied in sufficient detail by the Japanese Suzaku satellite. It seems that most of the iron inside the intergalactic gas arose long before the first clusters of galaxies were formed. The results will be presented this Friday at the annual meeting of the European Astronomical Society, EWASS2017, in Prague, Czech Republic by Norbert Werner, leader of the MTA-Eötvös University Lendület "Hot universe" research group in Budapest, Hungary and associate professor at the Masaryk University in the Czech Republic and Hiroshima University in Japan.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-galaxies-violent.html#jCp

The paper......

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1706.01567.pdf

A uniform metallicity in the outskirts of massive, nearby galaxy clusters

ABSTRACT

Suzaku measurements of a homogeneous metal distribution of Z ∼ 0.3 Solar in the outskirts of the nearby Perseus cluster suggest that chemical elements were deposited and mixed into the intergalactic medium before clusters formed, likely over 10 billion years ago. A key prediction of this early enrichment scenario is that the intracluster medium in all massive clusters should be uniformly enriched to a similar level. Here, we confirm this prediction by determining the iron abundances in the outskirts (r > 0.25r200) of a sample of ten other nearby galaxy clusters observed with Suzaku for which robust measurements based on the Fe-K lines can be made. Across our sample the iron abundances are consistent with a constant value, ZFe = 0.316 ± 0.012 Solar (χ 2 = 28.85 for 25 degrees of freedom). This is remarkably similar to the measurements for the Perseus cluster of ZFe = 0.314±0.012 Solar, using the Solar abundance scale of Asplund et al. (2009).

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The above paper details the findings of metallicity measurements in the outskirts of ten nearby galaxy clusters:

Interesting article and paper......

Edited by beecee

The above paper details the findings of metallicity measurements in the outskirts of ten nearby galaxy clusters:

Interesting article and paper......

!

Moderator Note

What about the article do you wish to discuss? As the opening poster, please help guide the conversation to what you find most interesting about the paper.

!

Moderator Note

What about the article do you wish to discuss? As the opening poster, please help guide the conversation to what you find most interesting about the paper.

Point taken.

A couple of things......Firstly, it points to the fact that the "stuff of life," just like all the elements, is spread throughout the universe, and that life elsewhere, has the potential to arise and evolve....secondly, the very early universe would not have been hospitable for life...or at least life as we know it.

Do others agree?

Edited by beecee

It's pretty hard to argue with that considering that:

The most common elements in the Milky Way Galaxy estimated spectroscopically:

Hydrogen

Helium

Oxygen

Carbon

The most common elements in the Human body:

Oxygen

Carbon

Hydrogen

---------------------------------

The very early universe wasn't even hospitable for light.

Thank you for the paper. Like many astronomers have quoted, considering that the elements that make life are so commonly found in the Universe, other life is inevitable.

I also have a non-data based speculation that the first living cell that all present life originated from was not the first living cell that formed on earth. Maybe there were other cells that did not survive as successfully.

It's pretty hard to argue with that considering that:

The most common elements in the Milky Way Galaxy estimated spectroscopically:

Hydrogen

Helium

Oxygen

Carbon

The most common elements in the Human body:

Oxygen

Carbon

Hydrogen

---------------------------------

The very early universe wasn't even hospitable for light.

Thank you for the paper. Like many astronomers have quoted, considering that the elements that make life are so commonly found in the Universe, other life is inevitable.

I also have a non-data based speculation that the first living cell that all present life originated from was not the first living cell that formed on earth. Maybe there were other cells that did not survive as successfully.

I couldn't agree more with what you have said.

Certainly this paper and its findings add more certainty that life elsewhere is inevitable.

I like your last paragraph...Panspermia correct? Something that I also find as more likely then not. All I could add is the possibility that Abiogenesis may have started many times in many places.

Thanks for your comments on a subject I find awesomely interesting.

I know a lot of people have this thirst, this need to find life on another planet and I share this thirst. But instead of manned missions to mars with hopes of colonization I would vote for more probes/satellites/telescopes to be deployed in search of more data regarding the elements and their abundance in other galaxies and much more but that's a long term investment and people don't like to plan too far ahead.

“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Side note: We really should have more well-documented topics like yours where we discuss a certain paper or a study and not like 90% of the threads where people are trying to disprove and explain to the poster why his speculation is incorrect.

Side note: We really should have more well-documented topics like yours where we discuss a certain paper or a study and not like 90% of the threads where people are trying to disprove and explain to the poster why his speculation is incorrect.

I totally agree...what do the mods think?

I totally agree...what do the mods think?

!

Moderator Note

Interesting science discussion is always the goal. The format of providing an abstract with a followup link to a study is a great way to focus the conversation. We don't require it for all threads because it isn't always necessary.

Mods have NOTHING to do with starting threads. A moderator who starts a thread isn't allowed to moderate it.

Also note, Astronomy & Cosmology is a mainstream section. You wouldn't expect to find speculation here anyway. If you ever do, please use the Report Post function.

I would vote for more probes/satellites/telescopes to be deployed in search of more data regarding the elements and their abundance in other galaxies

My vote is for more probes/satellites/telescopes to search within a radius of 100 light years. Other galaxies seem irrelevant when it comes to the question of other life. Whatever we can learn about life in other galaxies, we could learn more about life within 100 LY. What is realistically within reach within the next few hundred years? Who cares about life in other galaxies?

My vote is for more probes/satellites/telescopes to search within a radius of 100 light years. Other galaxies seem irrelevant when it comes to the question of other life. Whatever we can learn about life in other galaxies, we could learn more about life within 100 LY. What is realistically within reach within the next few hundred years? Who cares about life in other galaxies?

True Airbrush. I got too excited for a second there haha.