Why is life after death really not possible?

seriously disabled

27 minutes ago, Strange said:

This is another unsupported assertion. And also the fallacy of begging the question. 

If you have nothing to contribute but just repeating your beliefs, then we should ask the mods to close the thread.

You aren't making any attempt to refute anything that I say. It's reasonable to state that logic and mathematics are not fundamentally conscious.

33 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Wetness is a concept but consciousness is real? This implies wetness isn't real, or consciousness is somehow more real.

Basically it's only different because you can't imagine it being otherwise, which is unfortunate for you, but what can you do?

And until you show me that mathematical proof of the wetness of water, i'll continue to hold it has a 'special' property. I just can't imagine it being otherwise.

Consciousness is more than a concept or idea which can be used to describe how a particular system behaves, which is why it can be considered "real".

Edited by Endercreeper01

8 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

You aren't making any attempt to refute anything that I say.

I can refute it with exactly the same amount of logic and evidence that you use: you are wrong. OK?

8 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

It's reasonable to state that logic and mathematics are not fundamentally conscious.

No it isn't. It is just your personal religious belief.

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

I can refute it with exactly the same amount of logic and evidence that you use: you are wrong. OK?

No it isn't. It is just your personal religious belief.

If we define consciousness as something which is able to experience subjective experience, then by that definition, a mathematical system cannot be conscious in and of itself, because there is nothing "perceiving" or "experiencing" which is a fundamental component of the algorithm, but simply information processed in a mechanical, algorithmic fashion to produce an output. So the algorithm itself cannot be conscious as it does not "experience", but that does not prevent the introduction of something which "experiences" what the algorithm experiences.

Edited by Endercreeper01

3 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

If we define consciousness as something which is able to experience subjective experience, then by that definition, a mathematical system cannot be conscious in and of itself, because there is nothing "perceiving" or "experiencing" which is a fundamental component of the algorithm, but simply information processed in a mechanical, algorithmic fashion to produce an output.

Nope. Try again. Maybe using logic or evidence.

6 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nope. Try again. Maybe using logic or evidence.

It is perfectly logical to reason that that a mathematical system is not something which subjectively experiences, because mathematical systems are comprised of algorithms which process information but aren't composed of anything subjectively experiencing.

Edited by Endercreeper01

11 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

It is perfectly logical to reason that that a mathematical system is not something which subjectively experiences, because mathematical systems are comprised of algorithms which process information but aren't composed of anything subjectively experiencing.

Then it is perfectly logical to say that a calculator cannot do arithmetic because they are composed to atoms which cannot do arithmetic.

You clearly have no idea what the word "logic" means. You seem to think it means "agrees with my religious beliefs".

34 minutes ago, Strange said:

Then it is perfectly logical to say that a calculator cannot do arithmetic because they are composed to atoms which cannot do arithmetic.

You clearly have no idea what the word "logic" means. You seem to think it means "agrees with my religious beliefs".

I'm not making a statement about whether consciousness can exist in a mathematical system or if a mathematical system can experience consciousness, I am saying that the system itself is not what "is" conscious and what "is" perceiving.

Edited by Endercreeper01

32 minutes ago, Endercreeper01 said:

I'm not making a statement about whether consciousness can exist in a mathematical system or if a mathematical system can experience consciousness, I am saying that the system itself is not what "is" conscious and what "is" perceiving.

Of course it is.There's no other real world option.

Just now, StringJunky said:

Of course it is.There's no other real world option.

If we look at mathematical systems besides the brain, they are not conscious. Why should the brain be different if the brain is all there is to consciousness? There has to be a reason that the brain is conscious and other mathematical systems aren't.

Just now, Endercreeper01 said:

If we look at mathematical systems besides the brain, they are not conscious. Why should the brain be different if the brain is all there is to consciousness? There has to be a reason that the brain is conscious and other mathematical systems aren't.

Most likely because they are not the right configuration and of sufficient complexity.

Well, I dunno if this has been brought up or not but have you ever heard of Digital Immortality or Immortality in silicon? The Transhumanists think that you can store your living mind inside a computer which would be a sort of life after death using a Mind Machine Interface/Brain Computer Interface (MMI/BCI) as for myself I have thought about the usage of Viral Nanobots(Viral Gene Therapy) to repair DNA structure as it decays(Biological Immortality) but not really life after death, but as I think the Mind Upload would not actually be you just a perfect copy. In any case, it would be process called Mind Uploading in that case of Digital Immortality.

700px-Connectome_extraction_procedure.jp

Edited by Vmedvil