Laughter without any stimulant

Even lack of sleep could be called a stimulant, due to chemical changes. Not sure what you're looking for. Laughter is a response to various stimuli. Anything that "brings on laughter" would be a stimulus, correct?

I was playing a videogame and I did not see anything that I found humorous but I had an urge to laugh. It was weird because right after I went to a website with funny videos/images and everything was normal. What could cause this to happen?

What was the video game? Sometimes we laugh at something quite dark (as a release of stress maybe as mentioned above)...

I saw this clip from a video game where a soldier (with pretty good modern day graphics) was hiding behind a wall for a bit looking quite sneaky when, BAM!, all of a sudden a huge great tank comes SMASHING through the wall right where he was standing, totally obliterating him!.... this shouldn't really be funny.... you had to see it really, but it gives one of those "WoW!" moments accompanied with laughter.... but really, there is nothing funny about a soldier being run over by a tank... maybe it was the irony of it (being a metal tank and all... bud um tiss!) - the irony of the guy thinking he was safe behind the wall then all of a sudden - BAM! Nothing left of him.

Thanks for the info. Do you reckon that breast production in males could correlate with this?

I doubt it, but there could be ample ability also.

PBA has to do with brain damage or neurological disorders.

The hormone imbalance that could cause growing of breasts in men may also have neurological side effects.

But I don't think it would be related to PBA.

A normal occurrence from a whimsical human brain? Who knows without further investigation what made you chuckle.

What computer game was it.... what in particular made you laugh?

I have 2 ways which together describe the feeling.

1. It is like a feeling you would get when I assume you are married to someone and you observe something that would make them laugh.

2. It is like a feeling you would get when I assume you are married to someone and you two are having a heated argument that has a lengthy duration already and the significant other is so furious that they are resorting to incredibly dirty tactics where laughing proves something about you. Continuing on: if they are unable to force the response of laughter out of you they then continue to mess with your head by trying to infatuate an antisocial point of view and making you enjoy it. This could be done for example: by trying to turn the point of view of something like this post into a rebuttal that they are trying to construct/deconstruct you to their liking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, ausguerila said:

This happened again recently and it gave me the chuckles but when I went to watch a video that I find funny, my chuckles disappeared. Anyone got any ideas?

Are you ignoring me for any particular reason? Do you have me on block or something? What video game was it and what IN PARTICULUAR made you snigger?

There is no point in asking for opinions and then ignoring people when they ask for further information about the situation.

2 hours ago, DrP said:

Are you ignoring me for any particular reason? Do you have me on block or something? What video game was it and what IN PARTICULUAR made you snigger?

There is no point in asking for opinions and then ignoring people when they ask for further information about the situation.

Don't fret over the lack of attention DrP. We all love you. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 8:38 AM, Phi for All said:

Even lack of sleep could be called a stimulant, due to chemical changes. Not sure what you're looking for. Laughter is a response to various stimuli. Anything that "brings on laughter" would be a stimulus, correct?

Just so. I was trying myself to think of something other than the traditional method---like hearing a funny joke or watching "O' Brother Where Art Thou?"--could induce laughter. The first thing that came to my mind was how we can stimulate the laugh response in a neurology lab by touching the exact correct portion of the brain with a probe. But I immediately realized that...yes, right.....that too would irrefutable qualify as a stimulous. Thus....I can think of no answer to this question. Even a psychiatric condition like Tourette's that elicited spontaneous and unbidden laughter would have to be stimulus-invoked, since Tourette's and the like are caused by chemical (neurotransmitter) balances and neuron/axon firing of such. Thus....sigh...again: a stimulus of some sort.

• 6 months later...

Such a LUCKY person!!!!

On 9/21/2017 at 10:53 AM, DrP said:

Maybe they haven't discovered the 'notify me of replies' button yet.  A snigger is not a laugh.  But maybe I missed a post where the laugher admitted it was not a laugh but was a snigger.  

Edited by coffeesippin
Expansion

15 hours ago, coffeesippin said:

A snigger is not a laugh

verb: snigger;
  1. 1.
    laugh in a half-suppressed, typically scornful way.
    "the boys at school were sure to snigger at him behind his back"
    synonyms: give a suppressed laugh, snicker, sneer, smirk, simper; More
    titter, giggle, chortle
noun
noun: snigger; plural noun: sniggers
  1. 1.
    a half-suppressed, typically scornful laugh.
    "we heard the sniggers caused by their little jokes"

3 hours ago, DrP said:

verb: snigger;
  1. 1.
    laugh in a half-suppressed, typically scornful way.
    synonyms: give a suppressed laugh, snicker, sneer, smirk, simper; More
    titter, giggle, chortle
noun
noun: snigger; plural noun: sniggers
  1. 1.
    a half-suppressed, typically scornful laugh.
    "we heard the sniggers caused by their little jokes"

You believe in your modernist corrupted dictionary and I'll believe in laughter.   

4 minutes ago, coffeesippin said:

You believe in your modernist corrupted dictionary and I'll believe in laughter.   

I can look it up in the Oxford or Cambridge dics if you like - it will say a similar thing.  

There are different types of laughter.  That happens a lot with language....  one word can mean a whole class of things.  There are sniggers, giggles, guffaws, chuckles, chortles etc....  the list of ways to describe the different types of laughter is quite long and they describe subtle differences.  I can't watch your vid here at work - will do if I get the chance at home later.