Two large Macro Black Holes entangled?

Jmanm

I was watching a video about Black holes, firewalls & EP=EPR with Leonard susskind, he mentions how in theory you could make two macroscopic objects that are entangled, by continually shooting off entangled pairs in opposite directions & then compressing the two masses of pairs. Or collecting up the emitted hawking radiation the original black hole has emitted & squeezing it down to a black hole so the original & new black hole are now entangled.

Well that is what it sounded like to me.

Is this kind of thing even possible? Can two large macroscopic objects be entangled?

With everything I have read on entanglement it seems to apply only to small systems & small amounts of particles like pairs.

If I misunderstood this please explain.

Edited by Jmanm

Black holes have bigger mass than stars.

Also when/if they get close to each other the reaction is similar to calling a pregnant woman fat.(unconcievably explosive)

I really doubt that we can talk about entanglement but to be honest I cant even imagine this.

Large systems tend to decohere quickly.

Is it at all possible in theory to build entangled objects like this? Even if they lasted entangled for even just a billionth of a second.

Just sounds like exaggerated theory bordering on sci-fi. I just wan't to know what he really means by entangled as I'm trying to understand the whole monogamy blackhole paradox.

Scientists have entangled millions of atoms at a time

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/millions-atoms-entangled-record-breaking-quantum-tests

Any given atom may be entangled with many, many more atoms, but we don't know which ones, and since we don't have a history of what has happened to the atoms, their behavior looks no different from unentangled atoms.

Black holes have bigger mass than stars.

Correctly would be to say that some black holes have higher mass than stars (when they lived long enough and consumed neighborhood stars and matter).

Typical fresh newly made black hole has smaller mass than primary star, because star ejected significant amount of matter in supernova explosion, prior collapse the rest to BH.

Correctly would be to say that some black holes have higher mass than stars (when they lived long enough and consumed neighborhood stars and matter).

Typical fresh newly made black hole has smaller mass than primary star, because star ejected significant amount of matter in supernova explosion, prior collapse the rest to BH.

You are right Sensei. :embarass:

If the Holographic principle is correct and black holes are holograms then it might be that all Black Holes are connected via two dimensional information...all black holes are then entangled in a sense.

Is it at all possible in theory to build entangled objects like this?

I am not sure what you read or watched, but I have read something similar but only as an explanation of what it would mean for two black holes to be entangled (not as a practical way of achieving that). And the point of that explanation was to introduce the idea that there appears to be a connection between entanglement and the (hypothetical) wormholes connecting pairs of black holes. Also known as EP=EPR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ER%3DEPR

Edited by Strange

"Star" is not a measurement of mass. "Solar mass" is a unit of mass equal to the mass of the sun, 1.99 x 1030 kg. When supernovas create a black hole its mass is more than one solar mass. Neutron stars are also more than one solar mass.

The primary star that explodes is larger than the black hole or neutron star remnant. Stars smaller than around 8 solar mass will form white dwarfs without exploding as supernovas.