agar melting

kpac

Hi Just wondering,

I made up some nutrient agar for a bacteria prac not that long ago and had some left over. I put the left over agar bottle in the fridge. Obviously it has hardened. I was wondering do I use a water bath to melt this agar then pour it straight into the plates OR do I need to melt it then re autoclave it then pour it?

Thanks kel

OK that's what I thought i'll pull it out of the fridge melt it and the re autoclave it, then pour.

Its just to take swabs of a hospitality kitchen,they wanted agar plates but I have nutrient agar does it really matter if I don't use just plain agar and use nutrient agar? The results should still be the same no?

What are you going to do with it after swabbing it? If you leave it warm stuff will grow in the nutrient agar.

There are a few commercial beers that have live yeast in them (I think Sierra Nevada is one). You can do stuff like this to culture them up to where you can make a starter. So I always wanted something to grow. Usually I'd wind up with some bacteria too, but they'd be in separate colonies. You can look with a microscope to tell which colonies are yeast, and then scrape that up and put it in a small starter, very well sterilized, and work your way up. :)

I haven't brewed in years - I really should get back to that.

That's ok I was just going to swab the hospitality kitchen and incubate plates after, all good I will just make new agar and just throw out the previous nutrient agar bottle. Thanks for youre help