Can a bundle of photons attract an electron?

An intelligible question would be appreciated! What do you mean by a "bundle of photons"? A single photon or a "bundle" would go past the electron "at the speed of light" so while there will be a slight gravitational attraction the photons would go past too fast for it to be noticeable.

Edited by Country Boy

An intelligible question would be appreciated! What do you mean by a "bundle of photons"? A single photon or a "bundle" would go past the electron "at the speed of light" so while there will be a slight gravitational attraction the photons would go past too fast for it to be noticeable.

thank you .HallsofIvy

well they say the Earth is attracted by the Sun

well they say the Earth is attracted by the Sun

And they are correct. I'm not sure how that is relevant to the question. Apart from the minute gravitational effect mentioned, photons do not attract electrons (as photons have no charge). I think a photon can interact with ("hit") an electron and change its direction. And photons can change the energy levels of electrons in atoms (even knocking them out of the atom, if the photon has enough energy).

But attraction? No.

And they are correct. I'm not sure how that is relevant to the question. Apart from the minute gravitational effect mentioned, photons do not attract electrons (as photons have no charge). I think a photon can interact with ("hit") an electron and change its direction. And photons can change the energy levels of electrons in atoms (even knocking them out of the atom, if the photon has enough energy).

But attraction? No.well they say the Earth is attracted by the Sun

where is the force of attraction comes from ?

Yes.

Pile up enough photons ( they are bosons, so can be piled up ) to an adequate energy density, and you will produce a gravitational field strong enough to attract an electron.