A [WINDOWS 10] rant [NSFW]

Alfred001

Windows 10 is such a COLOSSAL piece of shit!!!

To begin with, it crashes about 3x a week, but then secondly, and more importantly, today, for the third time in a space of about a month it has irrevocably lost an IMMENSELY important file for me!

And it won't just delete the file, no, that would make it recoverable, instead, the son of a bitch makes sure to lose it in a way that would be IRREVOCABLE! What it does is that it OVERWRITES the file with an empty file.

So the file is titled the same, but is completely empty.

What happens is I'm working on this text file and the computer will freeze up, give me that blue screen and when I restart the computer the file is empty. And you can't do SHIT to insure yourself from it. You could have saved the file 4 seconds ago and you're still FUCKED if this happens.

It does SUCH a specific thing (this overwriting) which means that:

1) you can't restore the file with recovery software

2) you can't insure yourself from it

First time it happened I tried recovering it with like 5 different pieces of software, took me 2 days, got FUCK ALL in return!

FUCK YOU WINDOWS 10, you motherless fuck!

Sounds like you have malware please reinstall windows 10 and have a nice day.

Or just install linux to dual boot with windows 10.

The hardest part is persuading windows 10 that you're not installing a boot virus.

Some beginner friendly distros like mint make it almost easy unless the computer has been designed to be very compliant with the windows ethos i.e. thou shalt have no OS but me.

Sadly the linux BSOD screensaver is rather pathetic compared to the real thing.

Edited by Carrock

Agreed with the others. Windows 10 are objectively the best windows. They are far faster and more functional than the rest; malware or viruses have nothing to do with the product itself, of course.

I would hate to switch back to Win 7 given how much faster this one is.

thou shalt have no OS but me.

You'd think that would violate some sort of fair trade regulation or something. Personally I think that's the only reason that Microsoft has settled for making it harder and harder to achieve a dual boot without making it outright impossible - I figure they'd get into some sort of legal snarl if they tried to completely lock out other OS's. As it is they can claim that it's still possible, while adjusting things so that a smaller and smaller subset of customers will actually go to the trouble / be able to go to the trouble.

Full disclosure: I am adamantly and thoroughly "anti-Microsoft."

Edited by KipIngram

I installed Windows 10 on my backup hard drive just to give it a few test spins before I decide to upgrade on my primary drive. No go. There are some nice new features, however, it mostly feels bloated, and the UX simply is not as good as Windows 7. I'll stick with the aforementioned 7 until I have no choice but to upgrade.

You'd think that would violate some sort of fair trade regulation or something. Personally I think that's the only reason that Microsoft has settled for making it harder and harder to achieve a dual boot without making it outright impossible - I figure they'd get into some sort of legal snarl if they tried to completely lock out other OS's. As it is they can claim that it's still possible, while adjusting things so that a smaller and smaller subset of customers will actually go to the trouble / be able to go to the trouble.

Full disclosure: I am adamantly and thoroughly "anti-Microsoft."

Why dual boot? Why not just have two computers?

Windows 10 is not backwardly compatible with all software. What editor are you using, it may be the problem and not windows 10, have you checked for up grades to your editor.

It's not backwards compatibility, it always happens in a very specific way:

The computer freezes and the sound freezes as well (keeps sounding the specific thing it was sounding in that moment) and then it goes to that blue screen and when I restart windows the file is empty.

This happened to me on Notepad++ and on MS Wordpad.

Does anyone have any idea how I might recover the file?

This happened to me on Notepad++ and on MS Wordpad.

Does anyone have any idea how I might recover the file?

Googling for "notepad++ backup text files"

gives plentiful of articles with people who experienced the same as you. Empty file

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24158616/lost-code-lines-when-notepad-crashed

"I was working on a .js file this morning on Notepad++, as usual, when the program just crashed. So I ended it, and re-opened it to see that all my code lines in my .js file, had disappeared, and now all I have left is the file with a size of 0kb because there's nothing left in it. How the hell is that even possible ? It erased everything I typed and saved the file as if there's nothing in it."

One of answers

"When that option (automatic backuping) is enabled (and it is by default), Notepad++ keeps a backup copy of files you edit.

You can find the backups in the directory %APPDATA%\Notepad++\backup under the format filename@datetime."

Applications which have automatic backing up system,

are typically implementing this feature as:

- move/rename currently existing file to [backup folder]\new file name

then

- open file for writing,

- write content

- close file

If crash will happen after moving/renaming,

but before writing new file,

this file literally does not existing,

or exist only null/empty file.

It has nothing to do with operating system you're using.

It could be Linux or MacOS, with exactly the same result.

Edited by Sensei

Why dual boot? Why not just have two computers?

Rather a lot of money to spend just not to have to select an OS from the menu.

It's just as easy/hard to install linux as sole OS as to dual boot with windows if you start with a windows computer.

If you delete windows, you may find UEFI still prevents you installing any other OS.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php?keywords=UEFI+boot returned 9815 matches, roughly half about problems with Microsft's UEFI.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

On 26 March 2013, the Spanish free software development group Hispalinux filed a formal complaint with the European Commission, contending that Microsoft's secure boot requirements on OEM systems were "obstructive" and anti-competitive.

Windows 10 allows OEMs to decide whether or not secure boot can be managed by users of their x86 systems.

At the Black Hat conference in August 2013, a group of security researchers presented a series of exploits in specific vendor implementations of UEFI that could be used to exploit secure boot.

and many similar.

So UEFI can prevent users installing OSs, but allows hackers to install boot viruses...

Googling for "notepad++ backup text files"

gives plentiful of articles with people who experienced the same as you. Empty file

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24158616/lost-code-lines-when-notepad-crashed

"I was working on a .js file this morning on Notepad++, as usual, when the program just crashed. So I ended it, and re-opened it to see that all my code lines in my .js file, had disappeared, and now all I have left is the file with a size of 0kb because there's nothing left in it. How the hell is that even possible ? It erased everything I typed and saved the file as if there's nothing in it."

One of answers

"When that option (automatic backuping) is enabled (and it is by default), Notepad++ keeps a backup copy of files you edit.

You can find the backups in the directory %APPDATA%\Notepad++\backup under the format filename@datetime."

Applications which have automatic backing up system,

are typically implementing this feature as:

- move/rename currently existing file to [backup folder]\new file name

then

- open file for writing,

- write content

- close file

If crash will happen after moving/renaming,

but before writing new file,

this file literally does not existing,

or exist only null/empty file.

It has nothing to do with operating system you're using.

It could be Linux or MacOS, with exactly the same result.

I don't have the file in the backup folder and I doubt it is due to autosaving as this has happened to me in wordpad, as well, which, I think, doesn't have an autosave function.

It also IS a matter of Win10, as this has never happened to me in XP over years of having wordpad files open all day, as I do now with win10.

Do not attempt a dual loading/operating/booting hard drive Windows and Linux. Any hard drive containing Windows will manage in time, to infect Linux or whatever else co-resides.

Use one hard drive for each operative system. And any extra hard drive for backup data only with no O.S. ; that can be USB ported. The drives not in use kept unplugged. Yes, that means getting under the hood.

If you are working with Word; shut the internet very off.

Do not attempt a dual loading/operating/booting hard drive Windows and Linux. Any hard drive containing Windows will manage in time, to infect Linux or whatever else co-resides.

Evidence?

I've dual/multiple booted linux with windows on at least four different computers using win98 up to win 8 with no windows related problem after installation.

I only dual boot because I occasionally want to run an obscure program that hasn't been ported to linux and I am not short of disc space.

I've read there is sometimes a problem with windows overwriting the boot menu, but that is easily fixed; if it happens a lot then you could remove windows, or just remove its entry from the boot menu.

Standard windows does not understand the linux filesystems; if windows ever infects a linux partition Microsoft would have problems claiming this is an 'accident'.

Only running a command like 'format d:' in windows would cause a problem.

Stored backups should be kept physically separate from the computer whatever the OS.