Is highschool a waste of time?

mad_scientist

Did you learn much from completing highschool?

What do you think are some of the problems of the highschool curriculum in your country of origin?

Do you recall anything from highschool at all now?

Do you use anything practical/useful from highschool today in your day-to-day life?

If you could change any one thing about the highschool curriculum in your country what would you change?

What was the most useful thing your learnt or benefited from attending and completing highschool?

How can the highschool curriculum be changed (e.g. achievement based model with different aged peers in classrooms perhaps?) to make it more relevant and useful gauge/indicator of individual student performance?

Is performance in highschool a good reflection of how productive you will be as an employee when joining the workforce as you age?

What would you say to your younger self if you could give life advice regarding the highschool journey?

Edited by mad_scientist

Can you provide some clarification as to what you mean by high school. Where I am it meant education from 12-16 years old.

Fundemental the lower levels of education are critical for the further and higher levels.

Did you learn much from completing highschool?

What do you think are some of the problems of the highschool curriculum in your country of origin?

Do you recall anything from highschool at all now?

Do you use anything practical/useful from highschool today in your day-to-day life?

If you could change any one thing about the highschool curriculum in your country what would you change?

What was the most useful thing your learnt or benefited from attending and completing highschool?

How can the highschool curriculum be changed (e.g. achievement based model with different aged peers in classrooms perhaps?) to make it more relevant and useful gauge/indicator of individual student performance?

Is performance in highschool a good reflection of how productive you will be as an employee when joining the workforce as you age?

Be careful.

There is a trend lately that want people to believe that there is no need for studying (examples from successful teenagers entrepreneurs). It is a trap.

Made by people who want you to become an imbecile. It is not difficult to understand why. Except if you belong to that same category already.

What would you say to your younger self if you could give life advice regarding the highschool journey?

I was not listening then. I am very bad at giving advice. And would you listen?

If I could give any advice to my younger school age self, it would be to take school more seriously and study more.

You have an unbelievable amount of time and resources dedicated to helping you learn during those years, and it becomes significantly harder to pursue areas of interest once you are out of the school system. It's very easy to take it for granted and fail to fully utilize that opportunity.

Edited by Delta1212

If I could give any advice to my younger school age self, it would be to take school more seriously and study more.

You have an unbelievable amount of time and resources dedicated to helping you learn during those years, and it becomes significantly harder to pursue areas of interest once you are out of the school system. It's very easy to take it for granted a fail to fully utilize that opportunity.

Enough said +1

Just meet people and be sociable. That's very important later in life.

Good point.

After college for meeting people you may pay for it (like Rotary & Lions club, tennis clubs, gyms, dance schools & many other ways).

Not to say that the choice of College is very (very) important.

I felt like I got a lot out of high school. My school didn't offer a calculus class; it stopped at trigonometry. But other than that I felt like I got a good basic grounding in math and science. The geometry class was particularly good, and as much as kids diss geometry I think if it's presented properly it really trains your mind to operate logically. I think the skills I got from that class, in terms of "finding my way" from a starting point to a goal, served me well in my career, where the "starting point" became the data sheets for a bunch of electronic parts and the "goal" became a finished working product design that was clean, efficient, and low-cost. So iit wasn't even really the geometry itself that was the most valuable to me - it was the thought processes that you develop in working with the geometry.

Outside of technical stuff, high school (and even junior high school) is where most of my knowledge of history, English, literature, and so on came from. I had courses on such stuff in college, but they didn't really "advance" me beyond where I already was to a huge extent. I'm not an expert in those areas, but I do feel like I know the basic things a person should know, and history in particular became something I loved and pursued an informal study of on my own later in life.

In no way could I have functioned well in my first college courses without my high school training, so no, I don't think it's a waste of time.

We see folks all the time here who had the attitude that science in high school was a waste of time, or too hard. Now, they obviously feel they missed out, and come here to pose questions and fill in the gaps, and that's a good thing. The worst of them still have the attitude that they don't need the education, and they come here to ridicule theory they don't understand and make all kinds of uninformed guesses as to how reality works.

Please, please, please, use the opportunity for an education that the whole country is willing to finance because of your potential. It's not as much as it could or should be, but you should be a sponge for knowledge and take every advantage. You're human, and you're smarter than anything else on the planet, because that's what humans get. No claws or sharp teeth, no fur or ultra-dense muscle. Intelligence is our edge. Everything you know adds layers of sophistication to every decision you'll make for the rest of your life. The more informed you are, the more access you have to the best opportunities every minute you're alive.

Even if I don't remember all the specifics or use half of the things I learned, I think it is a mistake to grade the usefulness of a course based purely on what you perceive to be the direct utility of the subject matter in day to day life. If nothing else, the things you learn in high school (and beyond) will help you to foster skills in critical analysis, problem solving and communication, provided you are willing to put the effort in. For me, those skills were the most practical ones I took away from high school.

If I could give high-school me any advice it would be to relax a little, and be humble.

I'm presently studying in a high school. And I must agree that it's course is quite good, preparing you for advanced learning. Physics has got an amalgam of motion and kinematics and electromagnetism. Plenty of new concepts in chemistry have been introduced like the atomic structure in terms of orbitals, wave function, the uncertainty principle and Schrödinger equation as well. Also, it includes organic aromatic compounds and stoichiometry. In maths, calculus and trigonometry and 3d geometry and analytical mathematics have been introduced. I dare say, I will be half as smart as some of the members here after 12th. :cool: