New Idea for Treatment of Bacterial Infections

The Ku complex is essential for repair of double strand breaks in DNA following exposure to X-Rays. This complex differs in structure between eukaryotes and prokaryotes in which it forms a heterodimer and homodimer respectively. It is also smaller in prokaryotes. These structural differences could be exploited to design a selective inhibitor of the Ku complex in bacteria where subsequent exposure to X-Rays may cause irreparable damage to their DNA thus killing them.

Could this be a feasible form of treatment or a worthwhile topic of research?

Reference;

Bacterial Nonhomologous End Joining Requires Teamwork, Lindsay A. Matthews and Lyle A. Simmons, J Bacteriol. 2014 Oct; 196(19): 33633365.

Why not? But i am not sure i understand, i guess first we broke DNA with X-Rays, and we prevent the Ku enzyme, right? If i am correct, first we must research about using X-Ray for controlled damage on DNA. Eventually we talk about radiation, so it can cause Beneficial mutation ( in very low percent, but still "can be")

But, i am not sure about that, is there any bacteria types have resistance for Radiation actually X-Ray?

You are correct. I have no specific bacterial types in mind nor have i suggested controlled damage to dna as my knowledge of this topic is somewhat limited.

I feel the ku complex is a good target for inhibition as it is very conserved among bacteria thus resistant mutants are unlikely to develope as the amino acid sequence seems to be very constrained.

My strategy is very general and crude, i was simply spreading the idea in light of new multi-resistant bacteria.

• 5 months later...
On 5/30/2017 at 7:25 PM, sullivjo said:

You are correct. I have no specific bacterial types in mind nor have i suggested controlled damage to dna as my knowledge of this topic is somewhat limited.

I feel the ku complex is a good target for inhibition as it is very conserved among bacteria thus resistant mutants are unlikely to develope as the amino acid sequence seems to be very constrained.

My strategy is very general and crude, i was simply spreading the idea in light of new multi-resistant bacteria.

Well, No, it does not work that way for DNA damage, the DNA cannot become resistant to damage via evolution to my knowledge being a Atomic Process and not chemical, "killing" the Ku Complex does not matter the cells will just produce more unless the DNA is damaged that the Ribosome processes to create that to protein. If the DNA is damaged or mutated it will stop creating the proteins that repair these Double breaks the Ku Complex(Protein), Thus you cannot Selectively Mutate it to become more resistant what you could do is over-express the gene and make more per visit by RNA Polymerase via  Promoter added before the gene. If you want to kill the Ku Complex(Protein) then you would need to use a CRISPR or Cas9(Protein) with a RNA guide that matches a important part of the gene to Silence it.

Edited by Vmedvil

• 3 weeks later...