The Sensitivity of the pH Value of the DNA and the DNA's Order

The DNA is constructed by a double chain build up of nucleotides. Each chain is constructed by a huge number of nucleotides. A nucleotide is build up of a connection of an amino base a five carbon sugar and a phosphate. These nucleotides are connected by hydrogen bonds. A hydrogen bond is a chemical bond which can be build by hydrogen and partners like oxygen, nitrogen or other electronegative atoms or molecules.

If the temperature of blood rises, haemoglobin is releasing oxygen easily. For example then muscles can do work. The pH value of blood decreases.

It is often mentioned that for example the DNA in blood cells has a melting point. Thus a low pH value provides a disruption of the DNA. Can a restoration of the original pH value lead to a recombination of DNA? It can, cause it is a fact that DNA repair is done many times everyday. Is there a threshold for the individually possible DNA repair? I don’t think so, only in extremely bad situations.

The best thing is, that it can be done by restoring the pH value in blood. Why? Because blood is, as I was arguing in former posts, available everywhere in the human body, except in the cornea of the eye.

Four different amino bases are building up together with a five carbon sugar and a phosphate group a nucleotide. Nucleotides are bonding together in a strand by hydrogen bonds. People characterise the strands of DNAs by series of amino bases. People seem to be convinced that the sugars and phosphates are not that important.

Since the DNA is a double stranded polymer build up of nucleotides connected by hydrogen bonds and since it is individual for nearly everyone, its pH value will be at least slightly different. This is due to the fact that the number of each amino base is individually different. Also their locations within the strands are different.

Stable pH values in the human body are extremely sensitive and individual. This is a result of the extremely high numbers of amino bases in their different locations and the hydrogen bonds of the nucleotides.

It is needed to find a experimental quantitative method much more effective than the pH value to determine the acidity of the DNA.

The sensitivity of a well functioning DNA could differ by one or a few hydrogen ions. The sensitivity is for example given by the equation: Amino base-sugar-phosphate + water <-> amino base- hydrogen ion—sugar-phosphate + hydroxide ion. The four possible amino bases of any nucleotide in the DNA are called adenine, abbreviated by A, guanine G, cytosine C and thymine T. The human DNA consists of more than 3 billion bases and 99 percent of the bases are the same. Imagine now such an equation for every nucleotide in the polymer double stranded chain of the DNA. The equilibrium of the equation for the whole DNA determines the overall pH value but this must be highly sensitive, because the individual pH value of every nucleotide in the DNA must be properly maintained. Thus the order of the sequence is responsible for the pH value and the properties of an individual.

If the pH value for every individual DNA differs only by a few hydrogen ions, why is then the pH value for every single nucleotide so important? I could argue, because everyday so much DNA repair is needed to be done. But then another question comes up: Why does so many DNA repair is needed, if the pH value is only differing by a few hydrogen ions? The pH value is individual, since the equation above is individual to any amino base and therefore determining also any codon, which is a structure unit of the DNA build up of a sequence of three amino bases of a more or less arbitrary combination of A, G, C or T where every base can occur more than once. The codons, of which then are existing 64 different ones in human DNA have individual properties and in every different DNA strand there are existing different series of codons.

The DNA repair can be seen as an attempt to maintain the healthy individual pH value in any human. If the acidity for example varies by more than a few hydrogen ions per litre with respect to the individual normal level, than the DNA repair must take place. That’s because the pH value of blood and other organs is crucial as I have explained in the former two posts.

And that’s not all. The hydrogen bonds must be stable and the spatial structure must be maintained too. This all explains to me why so much DNA repair is needed in the body per day.

The individuality of any human being is build up in her/his DNA and that what he consumes and the environment in which she/he lives. These interactions determine the different pH values in and outside of cells in the organs, the blood and other regions of the body.

If the body cannot control the DNA repair anymore, it comes usually to diseases. A constructive approach to regain control of the DNA repair is by finding out what’s wrong with the pH value of the affected cells and correct it by regulating the pH value.

The intracellular and extracellular pH values are interacting. Within a cell the pH value is around 6.8. In blood the pH value lies within the range of 7.35 and 7.45. There are specific membrane transport proteins which move ions, molecules or macromolecules across the biological membrane of a cell. Every cell has its specific function. Proteins are constructed in two steps. The first is called transcription and the second is called translation. The details are here not interesting. Proteins are used by the body for several tasks, like providing energy. The outside pH value is based on the ability of haemoglobin which can pick up or loose hydrogen ions. Thus like the carbon acid/bicarbonate system it buffers the pH value.

To summarise all what has been said: The pH value of DNA is determined by its structure and thus by its order. The DNA is extremely sensitive to changes of its pH value. Its pH value varies mainly by the ‘interaction’ with the pH value outside the cell, thus with that of blood and therefore with that of haemoglobin. The sensitivity of the pH value of the DNA can be imagined if we observe that 99.9 percent of the 3 billion bases in humans are the same, and thus mainly DNA’s structure, its order is responsible for the individuality of humans. And the structure of the DNA is maintained by its pH value.

The question that remains: What information remains in the 0.1 percent? People seem to found out that the 0.1 percent defines where the human originates from. But does this also include the individuality of humans? I don’t think so, because we can imagine theoretically that many many more than 7 billion people can live on earth and everyone is an individual with her/his own appearance, brain, thoughts, beliefs etc. Thus I believe the individuality of a human is twofold. It is given by its origin due to the 0.1 percent of the difference in the bases of every human and second in the structure of the overall code: The order of the DNA.

Are there publications indicating that DNA repair, which means DNA synthesis, takes place in blood cells when blood pH changes ? This can be done in animals using radioactive nucleotides, then extracting DNA from blood cells to measure its radioactivity.

No, I am sorry, there are no publications as far as I know of. My post is a proposition. One needs to undertake research on this issue.

!

Moderator Note

This isn't the place for wild-ass guessing. If you don't have any evidence to support your claims, then this gets closed. Do you have any?

Well, I don't think this is wild guessing. It's a proposition. Evidence can only come up with a hypothesis and an experimental proof or disproof. There's no proof and no disproof as of my knowledge. Scientists make very often propositions and I hope we can discuss it here. A fruitful discussion would be happen, if someone says why he thinks that it can be true and some other says it cannot. I started raising some questions about a possible relation between the structure of the DNA and its relation to the pH value. Since the pH value is a direct consequence of the hydrogen ion concentration there could be some affinity to the DNA structure, because the physical structure of the DNA can depend on the pH value of the blood. The discussion should lead to the theoretical ideas why or why not this can or can't be true. That's how theoretical science works. Also experiments need to be done to support the different hypotheses.

You need to reference the basic assumptions in your proposal. For example, under which condition does the pH of blood actually changes and how does that tie in into your proposal (which I frankly do not get).

!

Moderator Note

Speculations should go in that section. This is a mainstream science section, and students expect mainstream answers that might help them get good grades.

If you have no evidence to support a Speculation, you shouldn't post it anywhere on SFN. For that you should find a site with owners who support unscientific guesswork. There are a LOT of them.

Thread closed.