Does space/time have energy?

humility

Does time have energy? Like if you go to the edge of the universe and try to leave, time stops. So that suggests to me time in not infinite. So is time powered by some kind of energy? Which of the four forces make up time?

Edited by humility

Time isn't created by one of the four forces. Time is simply a coordinate label in the manifold in which physical processes are presumed to occur. Relativity posits that there is no such thing as "absolute time"; rather, every observer has a "local coordinate system" that applies to the portion of the manifold that's in their immediate vicinity. Each of those local systems will have a time axis and three spatial axes, but in general you and I will disagree as to whether various events are or are not simultaneous.

Does time have energy? Like if you go to the edge of the universe and try to leave, time stops. So that suggests to me time in not infinite. So is time powered by some kind of energy? Which of the four forces make up time?

I don't think time has energy. (And there is no edge of the universe.) But one possible explanation for "dark energy" is that space has an inherent energy density. So, as the universe expands, the amount of dark energy increases and expansion accelerates.

The edge of the universe?

This reminds me of a story about Columbus being told he would fall off the edge of the World.

:)

In fact, people refused to fund Columbus not because they thought the world was flat, but because they had a reasonable idea of the size of the world - whereas Columbus' figures were hopelessly wrong. (I did hear somewhere (long ago) that King Ferdinand finally sponsored him in the hope that he would never return - apparently he was getting a bit too close to Queen Isabella.)

How can the universe be expanding if there is no edge? Its supposed to be expanding faster than the speed of light.

And when I say time I mean space/time. Since space and time are the same thing. There is no actual such thing as time or space I think. So whenever I refer to one or the other, Im referring to both.

Does space/time have energy.

Edited by humility

How can the universe be expanding if there is no edge? Its supposed to be expanding faster than the speed of light.

This has been answered in this previous post.(last part)

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/105627-uniform-temperature-of-the-universe/

If it is expanding it does not mean that it isn't infinite. The same like you can have one infinity larger than another in mathematics.