Scientist Determine the Cause of Gray Hair and Balding...In Mice!

DrmDoc

I found my first grey hair when I was 18 - started going bald at 22. I blame it on having led an 'interesting' life.

That's a like, I think I'll use that one.

Balding? Gray hair?

I sense capitalism around the corner.

It seems to me that capitalism is around the corner everywhere.

hmm - my life has been quite 'interesting' too... but I have thick hair and none of it is grey. I think it is genetic as on my fathers side all the males (that I can remember and that are close in relation - i.e. my father, Grand father, greatgrandfather and some uncles never went bald. My Grandad had thick hair and only really started going grey slightly in his late 70's and through his 80's. His hair was pretty grey when he died at 92, but at 74 he still had dark hair.

(I have started getting grey bits in my beard and on other parts of my body though... nasal hair and some of my eye brows are starting to get the odd grey hair, but only the odd one.... which I usually remove).

Yea I know - lol - that's why I gave him +1 for his post.

Just saying it is probably genetic as the men on my mothers side are mainly bald and on my father's side they kept their hair and it didn't go grey until very late in life..... I'm hoping that I get the genes that mean I live to a ripe old age - even though I smoke a bit.. :-/ again - father's side - smokers to old age, mother's side - smokers died of cancer way too young!

Edited by DrP

• 3 weeks later...

hmm - my life has been quite 'interesting' too... but I have thick hair and none of it is grey. I think it is genetic as on my fathers side all the males (that I can remember and that are close in relation - i.e. my father, Grand father, greatgrandfather and some uncles never went bald. My Grandad had thick hair and only really started going grey slightly in his late 70's and through his 80's. His hair was pretty grey when he died at 92, but at 74 he still had dark hair.

(I have started getting grey bits in my beard and on other parts of my body though... nasal hair and some of my eye brows are starting to get the odd grey hair, but only the odd one.... which I usually remove).

You lucky sod. I am going grey everywhere and now estimate that I (at almost 55 years old) am now 80% grey. The worst thing is grey eyebrow and nose hairs. What do you do? Pluck? Leave them? Help.

You lucky sod. I am going grey everywhere and now estimate that I (at almost 55 years old) am now 80% grey. The worst thing is grey eyebrow and nose hairs. What do you do? Pluck? Leave them? Help.

Leave the eyebrows, pluck the nose hairs. I find them distracting--definitely pluck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.